In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1volver a nombrarredesignar
- New Zealand Tennis felt he had done a sterling job and reappointed him.
- Eventually he was reappointed to his post which he held until the Glorious Revolution after which he lost his office once again, this time because of his loyalty to James II.
- She was reappointed as Deputy Prime Minister following June's election.
- The players, not unnaturally, backed their coach and after a long stalemate Clark was reappointed.
- If I am reappointed as chair of the committee, convening an urgent investigation into how this has happened will be my priority.
- Either it reappointed her, appearing to close down the transparency of the appointment process, or it advertised her job, apparently undermining her independence.
- He didn't appoint him or reappoint him in 2001 - Alston did.
- In 2002 the same king sacked the same prime minister for failing to hold elections, only to reappoint him last year with a mandate to hold elections and open peace talks.
- I don't think the President would be wise in reappointing this guy.
- Governor Easley reappointed her immediately after the election to fill a vacancy.
- He was reappointed in the same position in 2001.
- Denying he was only reappointed to the Cabinet in 2002 after prominent businessmen lobbied on his behalf, Mr Walsh said he felt the time was right.
- It provided no explanation to one faculty member for not reappointing her and an inadequate oral explanation to the other faculty member.
- His views on private prisons may not have sat comfortably with the Executive but it would be very sad if they were not reappointing him because they feared his impartiality.
- Finance Minister Charlie McCreevy is believed to have ensured Michael Smith was reappointed defence minister.
- Or would he lose that job permanently, at least until he's reappointed to the district court and confirmed for that position?
- When Essendon came to appointing a coach this year for 2005 and beyond it reappointed Kevin Sheedy.
- Interestingly, he said that even if there had been a narrow decision in favour of reappointing him, he would have continued.
- If she is not reappointed, that will be an unwelcome signal to environmentalists about Davis and the coast.
- Angus Grossart denied he had a conflict of interest as he was reappointed to the board.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.