In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Four of the five, who are all rear admirals, flew in from their carriers in the Arabian Sea to Illustrious to confer on the war against international terrorism.
- Hill himself retired from the Royal Navy as a rear admiral, having worked for Lewin in a number of appointments.
- A retired rear admiral in the Navy, Steidle had little experience in space programs before coming over to NASA, having focused his career on naval aviation, including flying combat missions during the Vietnam War.
- Did you see the story in The New York Times today about the retired brigadier generals and rear admiral who came out of the closet?
- Also participating is the rear admiral responsible for the western naval command, including the security of the Colombo port, and a former navy commander who is now head of the state-owned Sri Lanka Ports Authority.
- Nash is a retired rear admiral, formerly in charge of Navy construction.
- Congress named him the first U.S. Navy rear admiral, vice admiral, and admiral.
- Hopper, who earned her doctorate in math and physics from Yale in 1934, was a rear admiral in the Navy and a computer pioneer.
- On the other hand, a generation of officers - too junior to have attended staff college or war college by 1941-returned from the war as colonels or captains, and in some cases brigadier generals or rear admirals.
- The Scots naval officer served as a rear admiral in the Russian navy between 1788 and 1789.
- He has been nominated for appointment to the rank of rear admiral.
- The commander of the MIF was at every point, from 1991 to 2003, a rear admiral or vice admiral from the US Fifth Fleet.
- Flynn is the emergency coordinator for the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and a rear admiral and assistant surgeon general in the U.S. Public Health Service.
- He also served 32 years with the U.S. Naval Reserve and retired as a rear admiral in aviation.
- As a result, the Armed Services Committee held up the Navy board's selections for rear admiral and investigated the Navy's promotion system.
- He was a Navy chaplain for 27 years, under fire with the Marines in Vietnam, retired as a rear admiral.
- Yesterday's promotion highlighted the advancement of 15 military officials of ethnic Taiwanese origin to the ranks of lieutenant general/vice admiral or major general / rear admiral.
- As a rear admiral Spruance commanded the cruiser division which acted as the surface screen for Halsey's carrier task force during the first months of the war.
- Rising to the rank of rear admiral during World War I, Niblack would remain an advocate of Sailors his entire career.
- In 1987 he was promoted to rear admiral and assumed the duties of Assistant Chief of Naval Staff (Development).
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.