In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(building/bridge) reconstruir(economy) reconstruirher face was rebuilt by a plastic surgeon — un cirujano plástico le rehízo la cara
- he tried to rebuild his life — intentó rehacer su vida
- she rebuilt the business from scratch — levantó el negocio de cero
2Motor vehicles(engine) reacondicionar
3(restore)(trust/faith) volver a cimentar(faith/trust) restablecer
- Even when the area is rebuilt, and it will take a long time, many companies will have moved outside the city for good.
- When the home was rebuilt the town was expected to provide the new access bridge.
- Mr Kingston said it was essential that links between the food producer and the consumer were rebuilt.
- Let there be no short cuts any more and let roads be rebuilt from their foundations if necessary.
- The police later took away their clothes as they rebuilt the bomb as part of the painstaking investigation.
- The wall was partly rebuilt in May, but left without coping stones on, leaving it open to weather damage.
- Instead, she rebuilt her life and career and launched her own jewellery line.
- When it was totally gutted by fire 10 years later it was rebuilt and prospered.
- Whether or not it ought to be rebuilt is secondary to the real issue: can it be rebuilt?
- Now he reveals how he rebuilt his marriage and his hopes for the country's future
- He has never rebuilt the confidence which his father unintentionally destroyed in childhood.
- The garage belongs to a family in nearby Church Road, who rebuilt it as a double garage just two years ago.
- Until it was rebuilt, passengers had to change cars and cross the bridge by foot.
- The Germans rebuilt the dams far more quickly than the Allies had expected.
- The building used to look a bit fancier, and much more decorative, but it was never rebuilt.
- Its 205 pupils will be bussed to a school 13 miles away while the building is rebuilt.
- The couple are staying with friends but Mr Patrick said they intend to return to their home when it is rebuilt.
- Once the place is rebuilt, cleaned and sorted, viewers of the show can holiday there.
- Work eventually went ahead and the centre was rebuilt using traditional materials.
- Eventually, the front wall was rebuilt and the windows repositioned in their original places.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.