In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine abjuraciónfeminine retractación
- But if the critics were anticipating a recantation of his views on politics and art they were sorely disappointed.
- The previous day, he had made a sniveling recantation on the floor of the Senate.
- Artists guilty or suspected of formalism were persecuted and encouraged to make public recantations for their offences.
- But state Attorney General Jay Nixon, who was fighting the appeal, was able to convince a federal judge that the recantations weren't credible.
- Finally, when she is faced with being burned alive, she recants, but then retracts her recantation and is publicly executed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.