In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Militaryreconocimiento masculine(mission/patrol) de reconocimientoair/ground reconnaissance — reconocimiento aéreo/del terreno
- to make a reconnaissance — hacer un reconocimiento
- A Pentagon spokesman said a coalition air reconnaissance patrol came under fire and called in air strikes.
- Within a decade of that first flight, balloons were used for military reconnaissance in France.
- French, German and US reconnaissance planes would be allowed to patrol the skies.
- It is commonly accepted that military reconnaissance is an indispensable necessity and inherent component of war.
- Several apparent terrorist reconnaissance missions at key sites had been observed, the newspaper said.
- The commander must be ready to adjust his reconnaissance focus as the situation changes or develops.
- Our snipers and reconnaissance Marines excelled at this task, as one would expect of trained observers.
- It can also carry out reconnaissance, combat support and patrol missions.
- This indicates that we underestimated the importance of aerial reconnaissance during the war.
- It will predominantly feature surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft.
- For the most part it was considered that air forces would be used primarily for scouting and reconnaissance missions, both overland and at sea.
- Additionally, there is a finite amount of terrain that supports the movement of reconnaissance forces.
- Sections and platoons conduct reconnaissance patrols there daily.
- Two British military liaison and reconnaissance teams have also been deployed - one to Colombo and the second to Indonesian capital Jakarta.
- Ark Royal launched many reconnaissances for gun positions and mines from March 13-17.
- A whole new sphere of high-level photographic reconnaissance and its interpretation was to spring from this advance.
- Each of these systems brought some degree of unique reconnaissance capability to the squadron.
- They had to give higher priority to this task if they wanted to avoid enemy air reconnaissance and artillery spotting.
- Eisenhower found out about British preparations for war from US reconnaissance photos.
- Are your soldiers familiar with this route, and have they conducted a route reconnaissance?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.