In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The bottom of the screen hosts a rectangular area that scrolls the lyrics to the player's chosen song.
- Huge trees defined the edges of the rectangular area.
- Actually, had the cloth been kept in a frame for such a long period there would have been an age-yellowed, rectangular area at the top.
- The starting point is a rectangular grid.
- There is a goal at either side of rectangular arena.
- The event will happen in a rectangular area of about 15 hectares on the coast.
- Thus, during viewing in the otherwise dark laboratory, the observer saw a rectangular area of light against a dark background.
- A rectangular table is divided up into ten squares - two marked with a heart, two with diamonds, two with clubs, two with spades, one with a crown and one with an anchor.
- Hang pictures in circular, triangular, or rectangular geometric groupings to add interest.
- You introduced small rectangular openings in the sides so that one could peek inside, but some of the interior remained hidden.
- Two female students stood at the right side of the long rectangular board, where the names of the highest placing students were located.
- A rectangular section of each picture was selected and the average pixel value was calculated by the software in radial direction.
- We took it down at once, leaving a pale rectangular area on the wallpaper.
- I sat beside a little rectangular window with shades pulled half-way down, allowing minimal sunlight to come through.
- Wood uses the rectangular areas that have been partially plowed to draw added attention to the simple contours.
- Each was made from a long rectangular piece of cloth, hemmed on each long side to allow a cord to be inserted at the top, and a light plastic plumbing tube at the bottom.
- The floor was divided into 25 rectangular squares by pencil lines.
- The shape of a mirror is also important with rectangular, square or oval shapes each having different qualities.
- The game board is a rectangular grid of squares, initially occupied by a given configuration of filled squares.
- She was able to watch the evaluation through a long, rectangular glass window, but the person on the other side would not be able to see her.
- The shapes and surface are only those which can occur plausibly within and on a rectangular plane.
- In another series, rectangular areas of pale watercolour are overlaid by fields of coloured dots - a second layer of pattern to counterpoint the first.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.