In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1página de la derecha feminine
- Each folio has a front and a back, usually now called recto and verso.
- Take for example the important sheet from Edinburgh that shows a Drowning of Leander on the recto and The Battle of the Amazons on the verso.
- This is parallel translation with the Anglo-Saxon on the verso and the translation on the recto.
- However, it was very much the habit to place the blank sheet as the recto (looking at the opening of a book, the right leaf), with the miniature on the verso (looking at the open book, the left leaf).
- The story begins with text alone on both recto and verso.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.