In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Religionrector masculinerectora femininepárroco masculine
- According to the bishop of London the Anglican rector of South Hackney helped create the shrines, which were visited by the Queen in 1917.
- The eldest son is the rector of four conjoined parishes nearby.
- Tickets are available from the rector, church wardens and the parish office.
- The husband of a church rector will be pedalling 1,000 miles to raise money to repair the church roof.
- Sandy's friend, the Anglican priest and rector of St. Anne's, the Reverend John Gordon, would officiate.
- I think it's hard sometimes, when new rectors are appointed to churches, for congregations to be completely open in their welcome.
- The farmers now decided that they should also get some relief in their Tithe payments and deputations went to the rectors in the parish.
- The new rector of the Scottish Episcopal Church in Orkney, Reverend Alison Duff, was installed into her charge at a service in Kirkwall on Wednesday night.
- ‘The font was used to baptise Dr Kathleen Lynn; her father was the Anglican rector of the parish in 1874,’ pointed out a local.
- When the site is fully restored, the local rector Rev Lynda Peilow and the Roman Catholic priest Fr Gerard O'Byrne will hold a ceremony and remaining family members of those buried there will be invited to attend.
- The Reverend William Matheus, another member, was assistant rector at St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, a bulwark of progressive social causes.
2School Universityrector masculinerectora feminine
- This defiance is surely what appealed to the Glasgow students who voted him rector.
- Brown, with his trademark long hair and tweed jackets, had undertaken a well organised campaign to be elected rector, a post unique to Scottish universities.
- The rector is the senior representative for the university's 17,000 students and chairs the University Court, which is the governing body for the whole university.
- Both have been nominated by students as potential rectors of St Andrews University in Scotland.
- That was what he told the students of Edinburgh University in his inaugural address as their rector.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.