In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in detective story)pista falsa femininethey are using the issue as a red herring — usan el asunto para desviar la atención de la gente del verdadero problema
- In fact, the narrative is full of loose ends and red herrings, and the episodic writing frequently loses momentum.
- It's most often when these kinds of things happen, it's a red herring, it's just a propaganda ploy.
- It is a quest for the truth that drops vital clues and red herrings along the way.
- Most of the film is spent working very hard to build suspense and distract the audience with red herrings that stop being effective early on.
- We suspect that the Environment Agency is using the issue as a red herring to draw the attention away from their own inadequacies.
- Often they're false clues, red herrings.
- Many academics will talk about productivity and value, and profitability, but these issues are red herrings.
- The weird narrative developments are beginning to feel less like clues and more like red herrings.
- But the focus on the 45-minute claim is itself a red herring intended to draw attention away from a far bigger deception.
- No, I think that issue is a real red herring.
- The issue was made as a red herring to detract from the real issues in respect of his management style.
- Yet my own view was that for my particular story, this was a bit of a red herring.
- There are few red herrings to distract you from the inexorable march of the plot.
- Duplicities and red herrings pile up, augmented by the film's reinforcing structures of uncertainty, making for a daunting epistemological game.
- Where else but in detective stories do we find ‘coats in store windows’ invested with such importance - as real clues or red herrings, as the case may be?
- I had the postcode, the street, a number and a few clues about a jeep but a red herring about curtains.
- I'm told there is evidence to back up this claim, so why the red herrings?
- Obviously, the old murder-mystery impetus is there, and the red herrings and shock revelations are being doled out as standard.
- However they were uncertain as to whether it was the address of one of the suspects or a red herring.
- This is simply a red herring to try and distract angry voters in Hobson.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.