In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pargo masculinehuachinango masculine Mexico
- I'm back from the market where I've bought tuna fish, red snapper and some walnut halves - all good stuff.
- After that came a variety of fish, from red snappers to barracuda - around 13 different species in the space of two hours.
- On this evening it featured a whole red snapper, tuna, salmon, enormous shrimp and sea bass.
- Species currently threatened by overfishing include the Atlantic cod, the black sea bass, the red snapper, and some sharks.
- For many St Lucians fish - dorado, tuna, flying fish, red snapper and more - is a regular part of the daily diet.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.