In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- And what about his equation with his redoubtable father?
- Border's redoubtable team had all but been humbled.
- A sportsman to his fingertips, the redoubtable John Joe has left many of us with some tremendous memories of his hurling and footballing feats.
- It is the inspiration for the story of a redoubtable guy who has seen an injustice and has been dedicating a part of his life to correcting it.
- In 1926, a redoubtable woman called Miss Elsie Wagg laid the foundations for the National Gardens Scheme.
- But, seriously, if any player can match talent with the redoubtable Williams this year, it's Rush.
- Sure, they are redoubtable opponents, but brawny, one-dimensional teams deficient in natural ability will not seriously challenge the world's best.
- Only the redoubtable Sam Smyth succeeded where all others failed.
- Yet the redoubtable pensioner not only saved herself, but also rescued a band of 25 Jewish children from almost certain death.
- ‘If that was the case then they clearly reckoned without Mrs Hiley, a redoubtable lady who has stuck to her guns throughout,’ he said.
- The redoubtable chefs have prepared an expansive range of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes to satisfy the true gourmets.
- Three points down after seven games, he pulled up to equality, only to see his redoubtable opponent draw away again.
- Not until Richard usurped the throne in 1483 did Henry's prospects brighten, his cause sustained largely by his redoubtable mother.
- Despite his odd profession, and his generally humane views, he is as tough and as passionate as Caesar, and a redoubtable adversary to him.
- It was his redoubtable mother Jan who brought him and his elder sister up alone after his father ran off when he was three, who nurtured his talent for showing off, singing and performing in the pub she ran.
- The name may not be immediately familiar to you, but Nesbitt was one of British television's most redoubtable character actors throughout the 1960s.
- The third station is Verbena, once owned by Bo's redoubtable grandmother, and which Bo intends to reclaim.
- This poorly regarded army produced some outstanding leaders and redoubtable soldiers, and several developments had long-term importance.
- The menu, which is undergoing continuous additions, begins with a potted history of the redoubtable lady, Queen Victoria herself.
- Then, in 1988, he attracted his own ITV series, written by the redoubtable Keith Waterhouse.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.