1.1(lessen, lower)(amount/number) reducir(pressure/tension) disminuir(tension/pressure) reducir(rent/taxes/price) reducir(price/rent/taxes) rebajar(pain) aliviar[ S ]reduce speed now — disminuya la velocidad
- He says it will cut red-tape for many businesses in Scotland and reduce their costs.
- This drastically reduces the cost and size of a tunable solution to the system vendor.
- It also helps reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
- Maintaining the current workforce size but reducing the number of working hours across the board is not typically done.
- They suggest that recovering patients reduce iron in their diet.
- Employers gain a better-trained workforce and reduced search costs for new employees.
- It is not surprising that Europeans are prepared to pay a considerable amount to reduce the risk of such a change.
- The current focus is on risk management and reducing the costs of handling claims.
- They have greatly reduced the size and cost of most electronic products, while at the same time increasing their power and versatility.
- This vacuum not only holds products in place, it also compacts the package size, reducing the amount of space they take up in cartons.
- But what is being done to try and lower this risk and thus reduce the cost of car insurance for everyone?
- Using existing facilities and human resources can significantly reduce costs and security risks.
- This teaches how you can permanently reduce you weight by reducing the carbohydrates you eat.
- With this program, you can reduce bodyfat without losing hard-earned muscle.
- Young people considering setting up in business should look to reduce the risk involved as much as possible.
- By practicing sound risk management on a daily basis, you can reduce and eliminate potential accidents and injuries.
- The next car will be second hand and have a smaller engine to reduce fuel costs.
- These people are highly sensitive to carbohydrates and can't seem to lose any weight unless they severely reduce their carb intake.
- A new one-piece case also reduces size and cost.
- This reduces costs for both business and the Government.
1.2(bring down price of)(goods) rebajar
1.3(make smaller)(image/photograph) reducir
1.4Cooking(sauce) hacer reducir
- Remove onions and set aside; reduce cooking liquid to a light syrup consistency.
- You can drink the stock as soup or reduce the cooking liquid by 3/4 for a few minutes to make a delicious light sauce.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes, reducing the liquid to a syrupy consistency.
- Simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, until the sauce is reduced and aromatic.
- Next, take out the lobsters, keep them warm and reduce the cooking liquid.
- Turn up the heat, reduce the liquid by bubbling down to 150 ml, then whisk in the remaining butter.
- Cook over medium heat, reducing the liquid by one-third to make a syrup.
- Add the vinegar, raise the heat to high, and cook one minute to reduce the liquid.
- If it is not, lift out the potatoes with a slotted spoon into a serving dish and reduce the sauce further by boiling.
- Season with a pinch of salt, add double cream, bubble for another minute or two, shaking the pan occasionally, until the sauce is reduced and nice and glossy.
- As soon as the sauce has reduced by half, swirl in the butter and a little finely chopped mint.
- Steep large prunes in dessert wine for a few hours, then reduce the liquid with a dollop of butter in a heavy based pan till caramel consistency.
- When the sauce is reduced, pour over the oxtail and reheat gently.
- Add the wings back to the pan along with the chicken stock and tarragon and reduce the liquid by two thirds.
- She reduced the cooking liquid in a saucepan and added more white wine and spices before serving.
1.5Medicine(dislocated limb/hernia/fracture) reducir
- The dislocation is reduced at the hospital in Taos, but there are so many broken bones that I'll need surgery.
- Kocher's manoeuvre was attempted to reduce the dislocation.
- The dislocation should be reduced as soon as possible.
2.1(break down, simplify)to reduce sth to sth — reducir algo a algo
- But Zu would know how to reduce fractions to their lowest terms by dividing top and bottom by the greatest common divisor.
- There is no need to reduce the proper fractions to their lowest forms - Euclid's algorithm will still give the correct CF.
2.2Mathematics(fraction/division sum) simplificar
3(bring to undesirable state)to reduce sth/sb to sth
- their policies have reduced the country to poverty — sus políticas han sumido al país en la pobreza
- they reduced the city to ruins — dejaron la ciudad en ruinas
- they were reduced to slavery/begging — se vieron reducidos a la esclavitud/obligados a mendigar
- he was reduced to tears by her harsh words — sus duras palabras lo hicieron llorar
- By Sunday morning more than 300,000 buildings had disappeared and two-thirds of the city were reduced to smouldering ashes.
- They, who had had careers and their own money, were reduced to baby-sitters and had to ask their husbands for money.
- Survivors pulled belongings out of their destroyed homes, some of which were reduced to piles of dust.
- A large part of the Paradise Hotel was reduced to rubble and the rest was reduced to a smouldering shell.
- The family was distraught on Monday after a lifetime's possessions were reduced to ashes in just minutes.
- Some houses were reduced to neat rectangles of foot-high rubble.
- The rivers that were raging torrents as I crossed them last December were reduced to babbling brooks.
- Both were reduced to pathetic caricatures of themselves by the height and steepness of the bunker face.
- They'd be reduced to blubbering babies, begging for their lives.
- Their houses, shops and factories were reduced to ashes.
- Likewise, when an atom is reduced, it gains an electron and becomes more negative.
- Reactions in which atoms of the same element are both oxidized and reduced are disproportionation reactions.
- During these reactions, the molecule that donates the electron is oxidized and the molecule that accepts the electron is reduced.
1adelgazarrebajar River Plate