In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(American bird) coronel masculine(American bird) acolchichi masculine Mexico(European bird) tordo alirrojo masculine(European bird) malvís masculine
- Herkert reported that redwings were more common on small prairies, but Bollinger found no effect of patch size.
- In this country, unless the weather is severe, the birds frequent open country associating with redwings, blackbirds and yellowhammers.
- The whole backyard gang composed of those mentioned above, plus house finches, chickadees, goldfinches, titmice, grackles, redwings, and blue jays start around 5 pm with their bedtime snacks.
- A combination of prominent creamy-white eyestripe and rusty-red flanks and underwings makes the redwing unmistakable.
- I'll go down to the ditch later while she's napping and continue to play hide and seek with the redwing and other birds through my camera lens on this, the first day of the third year of our new lives.
- ‘On the 18th, we were ‘invaded’ by a flock of over 100 mixed redwings, grackles, starlings, and cowbirds that ate everything in sight and emptied the bird bath in minutes!’
- Ireland is internationally important as a northerly winter feeding ground for many winter migrant birds such as thrush, fieldfare, redwing, and finches.
- I just had a flock of thirty redwings land in my frozen backyard.
- The redwing, fieldfare and blackbirds are all involved in serious territorial swoops between trees.
- The list was impressive and included robins, starlings, a goldfinch, blackbirds, redwings, chaffinches, wood pigeons and black-headed gulls.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.