In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(tape recorder) de carrete
- In the days of reel-to-reel tape recorders, it was a technological feat in itself to be surreptitious.
- Later, I would transfer the audio to reel-to-reel tape, leader it and make it ready to use in the show.
- Even Robyn Williams' trusty reel-to-reel tape recorder is now collectable and he should consider including it in any eventual retirement package he may negotiate with the ABC.
- It took time to save up the money to buy a little Sony battery-powered cassette recorder, but finally I ditched my reel-to-reel tapes.
- Another popular tool that remained in the schools I attended as late as 1984 was the reel-to-reel tape recorder.
- On top of an 18 foot scaffold-ladder stood a reel-to-reel cassette player, without an uptake reel, so the tape continuously piled onto the floor several feet below.
- And I've got a spare reel-to-reel tape recorder and LP record player on order.
- An old reel-to-reel tape recorder and dozens of tapes of classical music keep company with a modern stereo system and a collection of CDs.
- For example, the only thing I remember my grandfather giving me as a child was a reel-to-reel Wollensak tape recorder for my Bar Mitzvah.
- Pettersen, 60, was about 15 and the eager new owner of a reel-to-reel tape recorder when a friend told him about a local singer.
- Recorded on a variety of media from phonographs, to reel-to-reel tape and DVD, the archive is as formidable as it is valuable.
- I remember getting a reel-to-reel tape recording that had the music to Ben Hur and How the West Was Won.
- Armed with a reel-to-reel tape recorder, he sat for hours listening to the tales of the old-timers, whose ranks included Rube Marquard, Sam Crawford, Fred Snodgrass, Joe Wood, and Paul Waner.
- This opening narration ends with a visual of a reel-to-reel tape recorder playing on a window sill to an empty room.
- The music industry had exactly the same response to the advent of reel-to-reel home tape recorders, cassettes, DATs, minidiscs, VCRs, music videos, MTV and a host of other products and services.
- Finally, for Stones' fans there is a rare reel-to-reel tape recording of their performance at the Crawdaddy Club in Richmond during the summer of 1963.
- These particular punishments, the lectures that preceded them and the screams they provoked, were recorded on a giant reel-to-reel tape recorder that stood in the living-room.
- Here, sonic blasts from the past are entombed in a hodgepodge of vinyl records, compact discs and reel-to-reel tapes.
- Watching this solo on videotape, one sees Nagrin, dressed in white T-shirt, pants, shoes and socks, on a bare stage except for a table which holds his reel-to-reel tape recorder.
- Foolhardily, Ash, Scott, and their girlfriends sit around one night and listen to passages from the book recorded on an old reel-to-reel tape deck by an elderly professor.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.