In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1árbitro masculineárbitra feminineréferi feminine Latin America
- That's the real issue here - league refs never have been able to handle truly big men.
- Often this is seen by both players and fans as the assistant ref not knowing what offside is.
- The replay is shown over and over again before the video ref decides that Owen was very marginally offside.
- The refs have been taking a lot of heat in the past couple of weeks, and they have to be more decisive with their flag calls.
- With time running out and Salford supporters screaming at the ref to blow for full time, Duffy made another break.
- It can happen when you play away from home that a ref can think he's got to even the game up when he's already sent another player off.
- Before departing, he had a few choice words for the refs and his opponent.
- When I'm in a game, the refs tell us to tuck in our jerseys so we look like ball players.
- To believe you have control over the players, the refs or the game is a fallacy.
- The amount of abuse that some players give the refs must make refs feel like sending players off just to shut them up.
- It's neither here nor there, however, because the ref's blown up for a goal kick.
- I actually found myself on the verge of boycotting the playoffs because of the refs.
- They know the foreign players, the foreign refs and the foreign rules that baffle Team USA.
- I can understand how the ref didn't spot it, but the linesman must just have been asleep.
- Well a video ref like they have in Rugby League has been spoken of, but nobody seems brave enough to make the first step.
- I remember a couple of occasions when the ref stopped the game for no apparent reason and called Nelson over.
- It makes the other refs so mad, they filed a complaint with the league about him.
- It was hard to determine if these young refs were too quick with the whistle or if the poor play resulted in a lot of silly fouls.
- The spokesman added that the absence of wives would make it easier for refs and assistant refs to mix socially in the hotel the night before.
- It was hit hard enough to decapitate him, but the ref hasn't noticed and he's given a goal kick.
1ref.our ref: HYZ — N/ref. HYZ
- your ref: XYZ — S/ref. XYZ
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.