In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1referéndum masculinereferendo masculineplebiscito masculinereferendum on sth — referendo sobre algo
- to call a referendum — convocar un referéndum (/ referendo etc. )
- to hold a referendum — celebrar un referéndum (/ referendo etc. )
- to hold a referendum on sth — someter algo a referéndum (/ referendo etc. )
- He could also claim a legitimacy built on a succession of victories in irreproachably clean popular votes in referendums and multi-party elections.
- French philosopher and social critic Paul Virilio writes on the upcoming French referendum on the European constitution.
- The second example is about collection of signatures for the presidential recall referendum in Venezuela.
- The government's reasons for proposing the citizenship referendum have shifted repeatedly since it was first announced.
- But the single biggest factor that could dictate prices is the French referendum on the European constitution.
- The promised referendum on independence has never materialised.
- If Blair were to lose a euro referendum, he might well be finished as Prime Minister.
- Land reform became the cornerstone of Mugabe's agenda after he lost a national constitutional referendum in February 2000.
- His new constitution was approved by a referendum in September 1958.
- In it, Baudrillard describes the French referendum on the European constitution as a farce, and as state terrorism.
- Madrid supports a UN-sponsored referendum over the future of the territory.
- A special survey of Welsh voters shows next week's devolution referendum in the principality is too close to call.
- Again, as your correspondents have mentioned, he lost this constitutional referendum in February.
- Residents will have the final say on the proposals as part of next year's devolution referendum.
- Sharon could also decide to call a national referendum on the issue, which he would probably win.
- If a euro referendum is not held before 2006, Mr Brown could have a long wait for the job.
- East Timor's struggle for independence was decided by a landmark referendum in August and approved by Indonesia in October.
- There is speculation that Britain will hold a national referendum on the issue sometime in 2003.
- My first close involvement with Robin was during the devolution referendum campaign of the late 1970s.
- The third option is to do nothing until an abortion referendum is held.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.