In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The cornea and the crystalline lens refract light that enters the eye.
- In particular, this initial work has demonstrated the enormous potential for a new generation of lenses, which function, of course, by refracting the rays of incident waves.
- Not only is the roof above them made of glass, it is also filled with water, further refracting the light received in the public spaces below.
- The hotter, denser air refracts the light coming from the horizon and the viewer sees an image of the sky near the horizon.
- Metamaterial research is an emerging field that uses manmade substances to alter the way materials refract light or electromagnetic radiation.
- A light ray is refracted when it passes from one medium to another at an angle and its speed changes.
- When the temperature difference is large enough, the warmer air refracts the light and amazing images can be seen.
- Spectacles and contact lenses refract the light before it enters the eye, helping the eye to focus objects sharply.
- The wavelength of light affects how much it is refracted on entering the atmosphere, with red light refracted the most and blue least (as in rainbows).
- They cut glass, they refract light into perfect hearts-and-arrows, and they have superlative fire and brilliance.
- It acted like a prism on the setting sunlight striking it, refracting the light in much the same way as a crystal would.
- Sparkling glass goblets and mugs refracted the light just as the silver reflected it.
- The rays were detected by a calcium sulfide thread that glowed slightly in the dark when the rays were refracted through a 60-degree angle prism of aluminum.
- This is because of particles in the air refracting the light.
- The regional variation of ocean depth acts as a lens to refract the waves, just as a lens refracts light.
- In De Natura Locorum he gives a diagram which shows light being refracted by a spherical glass container full of water.
- The cornea and lens refract the incoming light rays to focus them on the retina at the back of the eye.
- The image passes through the lens, which further refracts the light through its anterior and posterior curvatures.
- Color is important: one sees the reds, tans and browns of skin color, the blue of water and the wavy white lines of light refracted through the water.
- Ideally we would like to refract the shadow ray too, but mathematically this is a much more difficult problem to solve.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.