In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(act)the breeze provided some refreshment — la brisa daba algo de frescor
- anyone ready for liquid refreshment? — ¿quién se apunta a una copa?
- before noun refreshment stall / stand — puesto de refrescos
- Dousing myself in the pool offered about the same amount of refreshment as a melted ice-cream cone.
- Where do MTNA members go during the summer for renewal, refreshment and recharging?
- Praise to you for offering us your refreshment and revival day after day!
- Help me to rest in you on your Sabbath, to find peace for my soul, refreshment for my spirit and new life for my flesh.
- This again is an opportunity for relaxation and refreshment.
- Just 19% enjoy the eight hours a night recommended for maximum refreshment.
- A long vacation is best for refreshment and relaxation after a year of busy work.
- The question is, what kind of refreshment is Smith's gritty realism?
- I think some creative expression and refreshment is a good idea.
- I looked up the Isle of Jura and Barnhill and thought it was just the place to seek refreshment and rest awhile away from every care.
- It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones.
- Return to old favourites, as you return again and again to a well-loved holiday place for refreshment.
- So what is it in white wines that offers that element of refreshment?
- Drama activities, be it games or enactment of storyboard situations infuse the air with energy, vitality and refreshment.
- A quick gulp from a bottle of cooled water restores energy and provides instant refreshment.
- You now return, with sporadic memories, a race-transcending tan and a sense of refreshment.
- Summer is a time when we all seek refreshment and rejuvenation.
- I found refreshment, insight and energy to rejoin the challenge of these days.
2refreshments pluralrefrigerio masculinelight refreshments will be served — se servirá un pequeño refrigerio
- There will be a range of cakes, charity cards, raffle tickets and refreshments on sale.
- Drinks and light refreshments are now widely available around the clock.
- To mark the start of the new year a Club party night will take place with music, food and refreshments.
- The public are asked to bring their own picnics as only limited refreshments are available.
- There were meetings between old friends, beer was drunk, and refreshments were served.
- Take part in darts, pool and table games and eat light refreshments including homemade soup.
- Afterwards the choir were served light refreshments by some of the local ladies.
- The music will be provided by Joyce Humber on the piano and there will be seasonal refreshments available.
- The fee includes a T-shirt, and refreshments will be available along the route.
- The event will include refreshments, cakes and a raffle all in support of the Fair Trade campaign.
- While this is going on, the Danish players make a beeline for the shade and some liquid refreshments.
- On that day or the days before, everyone is welcome for drinks and refreshments.
- Stands selling glow sticks, cotton candy and other refreshments will also be set up.
- Discounted copies of the book will be available and refreshments will be served.
- Camping is available next to the pub, and there will be refreshments and clothes stalls.
- Everyone is welcome and a kids' corner and refreshments will be available.
- All who finish will receive hot drinks, soup and other refreshments and a commemorative mug.
- Following the service those present enjoyed light refreshments and a slice of the celebration cake.
- Also available are hot and cold drinks and light refreshments at very reasonable prices.
- There will also be healthy cooking demonstrations and refreshments will be available.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.