In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They offer to concoct an authentic supper of refried beans and chorizo omelette.
- The long menu runs from Mexican nachos with refried beans to Indian thalis, Greek salads and Middle Eastern meze.
- Drain and rinse canned kidney beans and toss into salads; scoop canned, fat-free refried beans and salsa into whole-grain tortillas for healthful homemade burritos.
- Other nonperishable items include cans of hearty bean soup, tuna, refried beans and even packets of instant oatmeal.
- Diners can plump for potluck plates of refried beans, Spanish tortilla and crisps, olives, salads, breads and pates.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.