In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine denegaciónmasculine rechazofeminine negativayou are allowed two refusals — puedes negarte dos veces
- I was surprised by his refusal of my offer — me sorprendió que no aceptara / que rechazara mi oferta
- his refusal to cooperate — su negativa a cooperar
- our proposal/offer met with a flat refusal — rechazaron de plano nuestra propuesta/oferta
- to give sb first refusal — darle a algn la primera opción (de compra)
- can I have first refusal? — ¿me da la primera opción?
- The strike is over management's refusal to solve a long-running land dispute.
- The group came forward at the end of last week following news of the players' refusal to accept a 30 per cent wage deferral.
- Today, we see the consequences of the Bush administration's refusal to learn from the past.
- I admire his steadfast refusal to be anyone other than himself.
- They also expressed dismay at the Israeli government's continued refusal to restart the peace process.
- Lex, see what you miss with your stubborn refusal to own a T.V.?
- Kerr's refusal to accept their recommendation was met with widespread approval by the Scottish business community.
- The executive's refusal to accept the committee's decision has caused outrage among Labour backbenchers.
- Due to professional autonomy, no one can challenge their refusal to abandon this entirely discredited methodology.
- The dispute is over the government's continued refusal to fulfill campaign promises to raise teachers' wages.
- Most worrying is the right-leaning media's continual hedging and refusal to accept basic facts.
- One explanation can be found in an adamant refusal to relinquish ceremonial practices.
- What was impressive about her - moving even - was her steadfast refusal to do so.
- The announcement follows recent refusals by two judges to take early retirement despite pressure from the government.
- In the past, refusal to serve in the military could carry prison sentences of up to five years.
- One of the weaknesses of the mass storage industry is a stubborn refusal to learn from history.
- We need to take seriously their steadfast refusal to admit even their most obvious mistakes.
- Khan said the Pakistani Government's refusal to grant his wife a visa has traumatised the entire family.
- Her conversation betrays disappointment, anger, and an outright refusal to be labeled a victim.
- That's the best weapon we have against these evil people, our flat refusal to allow them to divert us more than momentarily from our daily lives.
- It took a lot of concentration to be able to maneuver your horse correctly and get it to jump all 3 jumps without refusals, knockdowns or passing the fence.
- At this level the riders are not timed, but penalties are awarded for faults such as refusal to jump or knocking down a fence.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.