In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Leeds Coalition Against the War held an inspirational meeting on Monday 18 November to hear 18 year old Israeli refusenik and peace activist Tal Matalon.
- I found myself preferring the informed histories of Michael Zand, a member of the Soviet refusenik movement, who provides terrifyingly factual accounts of the fate of Russian Jewry.
- The director of Aish HaTorah's Russian Program is Rabbi Eliyahu Essas, a former refusenik from the Soviet Union.
- He and his wife have an interest in helping Russian-Jewish immigrants, especially refuseniks.
- The rally had been organized by Natan Sharansky, the Soviet refusenik who spent fourteen years in the gulag and is now a Knesset member and the head of the largest Russian immigrant party.
- Like Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn and the refuseniks, Sakharov and Bonner ultimately outlasted their tormentors.
- In 1973, after being denied permission to emigrate to Israel, he became one of the leading Jewish refuseniks lobbying for greater human rights in Brezhnev's Soviet Union.
- He himself had made aliyah from Russia, after years as a refusenik and three and a half years doing hard labor in the Gulag.
- The law is a Cold War relic that denied the Soviet Bloc favorable tariffs because of Communist curbs on emigration, particularly that of Jewish refuseniks.
- Natan Sharansky, former refusenik and Soviet prisoner, current Israeli cabinet minister, is one of the great men of our time.
- As a result, dissident artists and cultural leaders, rebellious students, Jewish refuseniks, Pentecostal ministers and other gulag victims became brave icons of hope within and without the Soviet Union.
- The modern return to Jewish tradition began slowly after the Six Day War, which fanned the latent spark in Jews worldwide, giving rise as well to the refusenik movement in Russia.
- He had spent too long on the Moscow beat bullying refuseniks and political undesirables.
- The refuseniks have insisted on their loyalty to the state of Israel and commitment to Zionism.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.