In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Since both were mere boys, his parents in effect became the regents for the Regent.
- Until now the affairs of the tribe have been administered by regents.
- The regents administering the country on behalf of the child soon abandoned the city of Akhetaten and the worship of the Aten and returned to Egypt's traditional gods and religious centres.
- No provision existed in the will for the appointment of a single regent.
- He suffered a nervous breakdown in 1788-89; when he was declared insane in 1810, his son was appointed regent.
- In 1930, after the empress died, the regent, adopting the throne name Haile Selassie, was crowned emperor.
- King Frederick died in April 1588 and, his son Christian (who became King Christian IV) still being a child, a regent was appointed.
- Prince Abdullah, the effective regent of Saudi Arabia, placed a soft, plump hand on his young compatriot's shoulder, smiled and spoke of friendship and loyalty.
- After defeating the Persian cavalry at the foot of Cithaeron, the Greeks under the Spartan regent Pausanias, and eventually over 38,000 hoplites strong, moved down to a position along the Asopos.
- In 1821 he gave his support to the regent Pedro, who was left in charge when his father John VI returned to Portugal.
- There was no formal role for a queen to be regent in England when king was incapacitated.
- George III became increasingly senile at the end of 1810 and in the following year the prince was appointed regent.
- During the drought of 1185, Count Raymond of Tripoli, the regent of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, agreed a truce with Saladin whereby the latter furnished the settlers with all the supplies they needed.
- Not even Churchill's great prestige could effect a deal but he was now aware of the pressing need to establish a regency and, on his return to London, pressured King George into appointing Archbishop Damaskinos as regent.
- He supported Cassander against the regent Polyperchon, and took the war against Eumenes (Polyperchon's appointee as royal general) into central Asia.
- A strong monarch could control the Parlement de Paris but a minor supported by a regent rarely could.
- In 1548 her daughter was contracted to marry the Dauphin Francis and in 1554 Mary was formally appointed regent.
- In Kiev, far from the reach of Byzantium, the regent Olga laid the foundation for the future Russian Empire in 957 when she converted to the Orthodox Church.
- The former princess, now regent, stopped laughing and looked down at her small son, an ache at the back of her throat and in the pit of her stomach.
- Under the regent Prince Shotoku in the late sixth and early seventh centuries there was a bringing together of Buddhism and the indigenous Shinto religion that would color Japanese Buddhism from then on.
2USUniversitymiembro del consejo rector de una institución educativa
- In other business, the regents asked leaders of the three universities to hold campus discussions about broad issues related to tuition policy.
- ‘The more contact there can be between academics and regents, the better,’ he says.
- ‘The day I was appointed as a regent was probably the proudest day of my life,’ says Sayles.
- I have been in communication with members of the university's board of regents, faculty, and administration (as well as friends of the school).
- University of California regents voted last month to make insurance a mandatory requirement for students, believed to be the first such requirement by a major U.S. university system.
- The 19 panel members, including Jiles, were chosen from among the Coordinating Board members, university regents and trustees, college administrators and community leaders.
- University of California regents repeal their ban on affirmative action, hoping to send a welcoming message to minority students.
- Senate resolutions must be presented to the regents through the university president.
- They also meet quarterly with the chair and the vice chair of the university's board of regents.
- That is the problem that the regents of the University of Colorado need to begin to address, now.
- The university's board of regents approved the constitutional revisions in February 2005.
- University of California regents handed fellow board member and activist Ward Connerly a defeat last month, voting down his proposal to stop funding ethnic graduations and gay freshman orientation.
- For its hall, Arizona State University and its regents insisted on a budget of about $2,800,000.
- University of California regents have approved the UC system's first computer science school at the UC-Irvine campus, boosting the profile of a department that has long enjoyed a national reputation.
- Ward Connerly, the University of California regent who spearheaded the campaign to end affirmative action, expressed the notion that faculty were not partners but adversaries.
- As subsequently qualified by the university's regents, the new policy proved a victory for the moderate center.
- One month earlier, the regents had approved a University of Iowa request to implement the same policy.
- The regents [of the University of California] have allocated supervision over the content of course catalogues to the Academic Senate.
- Likewise, some University of Washington regents have suggested that without more effort by the state, the university may want to consider taking fewer students.
- Let's hope that appointing UC regents is one area where Arnold doesn't take any of Wilson's advice in the future.
1regenteprince regent — príncipe regente masculine
- queen regent — reina regente
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.