In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(rule)régimen masculinethe Somoza regime — el régimen de Somoza
- Who could argue with taking action against the regime responsible for such outrages?
- This sort of empty democratic trapping is a hallmark of authoritarian regimes.
- The regime ordered the soldiers to shoot at them but they didn't because how can you shoot at two million people?
- And then the United States supported various oppressive regimes throughout the region.
- Additionally, religion has been used to blunt criticism of, and apologize for, illegitimate regimes and social orders.
- The populations in South Korea and Taiwan suffered at the hands of brutal, US-backed authoritarian regimes.
- Their puppet regime was overthrown by Fidel, and they will never forget.
- Meanwhile, in southern Europe, Spain, Portugal, and Greece were ruled by authoritarian regimes.
- In reply, Van Auken explained that the Soviet Stalinist regime had proven a false counterweight to imperialism.
- The 1979 revolution overthrew a vicious dictatorial regime supported by the West.
- Nkosi explained that Sisulu was the invisible power behind Mandela's successful defiance of the oppressive apartheid regime.
- World Bank figures in 2000 showed that the number of authoritarian regimes had fallen from 70 in 1980 to 30.
- Over the last 30 years they have fought dictatorial regimes in order to gain their freedom.
- Taiwan is a full democracy and North Korea, like the PRC, is a communist totalitarian regime.
- Governments and regimes around the world were classified as either friendly or injurious to American interests.
- Has the United States supported oppressive regimes in the region?
- For all their crafty appeals to lower-middle-class grouses, fascist regimes left existing patterns of property and social class largely intact.
- On World Freedom Day, we also recognize that more than two billion people still live under authoritarian regimes.
- For one, wages tend to be lower in authoritarian regimes than in democracies, giving businesses in dictatorships a monetary advantage in selling exports abroad.
2(system)sistema masculineprison regime — régimen penitenciario masculine
- This is indeed the desire of many more Zambians outside the public service spectrum who have also been complaining about poor salaries and the high tax regimes.
- Of course, economists apply additional tests to tax regimes.
- Why does a trade regime become unfair if it tries to promote these same principles internationally?
- Eventually her interest in the family superseded her interest in the tax regime and she then devoted all of her time to it.
- All this maybe for naught, however, if the new tax regime fails to stand up to WTO scrutiny.
- He had almost succeeded in having the inspection regime removed.
- At his junior seminary in Cumbria, the outwardly pious enforced a regime of physical and sexual abuse.
- Serious questions arise, however, as to whether health privacy regimes should place any limits on the collection of patient data, at least for purposes related to treatment.
- Once that secret program was found, Blix seized the opportunity to strengthen the entire global nonproliferation regime.
- I recommend Dr Warren's latest observations about the myths and realities of tax regimes.
- The great majority of these sanction regimes have been imposed in the post - Cold War period.
- It would in effect change the regime from a reference system to an appellate one.
- The tougher regime should also stop a rather dubious practice in the mortgage industry.
- Additional measures could have further refined and strengthened the sanctions regime.
- The next proposal is to simplify the tax regimes for pensions.
- Besides, why would any Bermudian wish to live in Europe with its cold climate and harsh tax regimes?
- The different tax regimes operating in different countries make it difficult to judge the relative competitiveness of the Irish market.
- ‘We have requested Burgoynes to focus on the Assured's cleaning regimes in order to ensure that compliance has occurred’.
- The review committee's response was to recommend the establishment of a licensing regime for payment systems.
- The eight different pension tax regimes should be reduced to three and the aim should be to reduce these to one.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.