In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(tradition/band/mascot) del regimiento
- A regimental cavalry troop has two tank platoons, two scout platoons, and a heavy mortar section.
- This variant is reported to be used by regimental and division staffs.
- He became its regimental colonel, and even as a general often wore its uniform, with its death's-head badge on the busby.
- With the frontline safe, regimental staff officers come up on visits and the truce continues through Boxing Day.
- He joined the army in 1942 and became regimental medical officer.
- He served as regimental medical officer in North Africa and Italy, and was mentioned in dispatches in 1945.
- The British used senior regimental commanders to command their brigades as a temporary duty.
- In another sector, men of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers were busy fraternising with the enemy and exchanging presents and regimental badges.
- His staff officers were white except for a black warrant officer, the assistant regimental adjutant.
- After landing in Normandy he served as a regimental medical officer until the armistice.
- The Queen paused at the Black Watch regimental plot and spoke to Brigadier Donald Wilson and regimental secretary Joe Hubble.
- He had several postings to the War Office and in 1958 he returned to regimental duty as second-in-command.
- By the Battle of Shiloh, Grant had moved from regimental command to command of an army.
- The HHC provides administrative and logistics support to the regimental headquarters.
- Three division commanders and many regimental and battalion commanders were relieved in less than a month.
- I attended a very productive meeting for regimental and motorized rifle battalion scouts.
- Go to the regimental headquarters, take a bath, get a clean uniform and report to the adjutant.
- The pre-war Indian Army was structured along British Army lines and had similar regimental traditions.
- One of the other traditions of the British Army that helped with recruiting was the regimental system.
- Soldiers and their families could count on returning to the regimental home base over a career.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.