In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(autonomy/government/costume/dialect) regionalregional aid — ayuda regional feminine
- regional development — desarrollo regional
- regional planning — planificación regional
- Mr Western, regional secretary of the Fire Brigades Union, was suspended after he refused to shave off his beard.
- Prior to that he worked extensively in the UK and Ireland in local and regional development.
- It is also important that smaller media players be able to provide important local and regional content.
- The end result is a decrease in regional variation in attitudes, especially within the East.
- The poverty line does not even account for regional variations in the cost of living!
- I have had the honour of serving North Vancouver for many years at the local and regional level.
- Those who do so are asked to fill in entry forms from their respective regional secretary.
- The sense of national identity is no longer viewed as precluding local and regional identities.
- There have also been many studies of local and regional politics.
- Providing incentives for local and regional produce would fit very well under such schemes.
- This also highlights a flaw in the reliance of national viewing figures since they fail to show regional variations in taste.
- There were regional variations in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
- This possibly could be evidence of a regional variation associated with the South.
- A relevant geographic market does not have to extend to the UK as a whole, but could be regional, or local.
- Advocates promote the joy of leisurely dining and opt for regional cooking and local flavours.
- This specialization tended to define more boldly the regional character of European agriculture.
- In fact it is almost the last of the Australian cottage styles to show some regional variation.
- The above patterns are national, but there are ethnic and regional variations.
- All women gave written informed consent to join the study, which had local and regional ethics approval.
- There has also been a tendency to form national alliances of local and regional organizations.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.