In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The office for national statistics and the general register office supplied copies of death certificates.
- Within days she agreed to move in with Mr Turner and they married in a Sheffield register office in February 1999, just days after Mr Turner's third divorce came through.
- Gays will be able to sign an official document at a register office in front of the registrar and two witnesses, although there will not be an official ceremony.
- The two women were arrested minutes before the wedding was due to take place at the register office in October last year.
- As the third series started, the four had agreed on a double wedding, and Clive, Jackie and Pam were waiting at the register office for Malcolm.
- Meena, unable to understand the need for three hundred guests at her wedding, complains she would prefer to marry in a register office.
- It was a whirlwind romance and eight weeks later on May 9, 1959, they were married at Macclesfield register office.
- Alex knew she was the one, though, and he promptly whisked her off to the register office and married her.
- Robin persuaded her to go through a ceremony of marriage at a register office, but Heidi thought it was merely a ceremony of betrothal.
- Three years after their first meeting - and after Doreen obtained her own divorce from an early marriage - she wed Jack Hawkins in a simple register office ceremony in London, in 1947.
- A pilot scheme in Bath, at the city's register office, is aiming to get soon-to-be-married couples talking about their attitude to money handling, as well as other areas of potential future conflict.
- The previous biggest shake-up in civil ceremonies was in 1994 when the Marriage Act allowed couples to marry outside register offices for the first time.
- They married in Chelsea register office just before Christmas.
- They will have to undergo fingerprint and iris scans at post offices or register offices before being issued with a new passport or driving licence.
- The ceremony, which parents can tailor to suit their own choice with readings, music or contributions from grandparents, is being offered by the county's registration service in register offices, hotels and other suitable venues.
- The findings will be debated at the Methodist Conference in Wolverhampton next month when delegates debate what future church weddings have now that couples can wed not only in register offices but in licensed venues including hotels.
- The book may have also come as something of a shock to his first wife, Iris Pressagh, whom he met in 1965 and married at a register office three years later.
- Her loyal subjects will be reassured by the news announced last week that although her majesty will not be at the register office, Stephen Fry will be.
- In June, the Scottish Marriage Act 2002 scrapped the restriction of civil marriages to register offices, allowing councils to approve other sites for ceremonies, including supermarkets.
- There's a civil union coming which will allow us go to a register office and protect each other.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.