In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He was a great thinker, and he taught that eating meat was wrong because of the principles of transmigration of souls, or reincarnation.
- Displaying an incredible amount of maturity and wisdom for their young age, these kids share their most inner thoughts and reveal their deepest beliefs on death, reincarnation and the afterlife.
- He found new ways to worship without starving yourself and retold the belief of reincarnation so that people actually understood!
- Unlike most Buddhists, I'm not convinced of reincarnation, though being able to play with possible afterlife scenarios intrigues me.
- The slaughtered were buried in mass graves near the ‘killing fields,’ and not cremated as is normal Buddhist practice; as a result, they were denied their faith's promise of reincarnation.
- In common with Hindus, Buddhists believe in reincarnation and that the soul of the human being may have inhabited, or may inhabit in the future, an animal.
- Under teachings of Tibetan Buddhism, reincarnation of important lamas is done through divination or mystical means.
- Some people believe in an afterlife or in reincarnation or other form of continuity of energy or spirit.
- If souls exist, then reincarnation is at least a possibility: if souls can both reside in or out of bodies, there is no reason why in principle they should not inhabit a series of bodies.
- Hindus usually believe that a soul can have multiple reincarnations and that after the death of the body a soul will be reassigned to another newborn human body or even to an animal one.
- Ritual slaying, feasting, and return of the skull and bones of a bear were fundamental to sending the animal's soul back to its original home and thus facilitating its reincarnation.
- With their belief in reincarnation, many can hope to go back to India to live, if not in this life, then in the next.
- Most Hindu communities have a fundamental belief in reincarnation.
- Several Hindu soldiers remarked that being killed in battle, in the service of the King, would end the cycle of death and reincarnation, and would send the soldier directly to paradise.
- Hindu and Buddhist cultures are among the many that believe in reincarnation, where a person is reborn as another person or animal after death.
- Oddly enough, his belief in reincarnation was brought to Cuba by American missionaries from the American Theosophical Society.
- Yet today approximately one in four Americans and many Eastern religions believe in reincarnation, the idea that repeated rebirth in human bodies continues until the soul has reached a state of perfection.
- You're not seriously suggesting that reincarnation is a plausible explanation?
- It's typical for those human tribes who believe in the reincarnation that they don't and won't put any hindrance on the returning road of the human remains into the food chain of life.
- Religions with reincarnation as a central concept have dietary rules that are often more explicit.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.