In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(relative)masculine parientepariente masculineparienta femininemasculine familiarhe's no relation (of mine) — no estamos emparentados
- pictured are John Hull and James Hull (no relation) — en la fotografía aparecen John Hull y James Hull, quienes no están emparentados
- what relation is she to you? — ¿qué parentesco tiene contigo?
- The man he had ordered killed must have been a close relation of hers; most likely her father.
- At this stage, I was finding it upsetting, seeing a close relation, who once knew me well, so disorientated.
- The definition does not include your cousins or any relations by marriage.
- This means that we all know and probably have a close relation who has had an abortion in England.
- We extend sincere sympathy to his mother Maisie, sister and brothers, relations and many friends.
- He is survived by his nephews, nieces, brother-in-law, sister-in-law and by other relations.
- He is survived by his wife Tess, three sons and two daughters, family relations and a host of friends he made through the music business.
- Sincere sympathy is extended to his nieces, nephews and relations.
- Had he not been his brother and his closest relation, he would have murdered him in cold blood.
- The majority are fathers, brothers, uncles, relations, neighbours or babysitters.
- She is survived by her husband, sons, mother, brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces and other relations.
- He is mourned by his wife Marie, children, grandchildren and relations.
- She is survived by her sons, daughters, brother, grandchildren, nephews, nieces and by other relations.
- We extend to all her sons, daughters, grandchildren, relations and friends our heartfelt sympathy.
- Sympathy is extended to his wife, family, relations and friends.
- Parents, uncles, aunts, and relations were present for the memorable occasion.
- He is survived by his sister Margaret in England, nephew and niece, relations, neighbours and friends.
- Perhaps there is comfort here for anyone who dreads the death of a close relation.
- Are many of your relations students, available only during the holidays or the summer?
- They didn't even look like distant relations of each other, much less the same person.
2.1(connection)relación femininethere is a close relation between poverty and ill health — hay una relación muy estrecha entre la pobreza y la mala salud
- to bear no relation to sth — no guardar ninguna relación con algo
- Thus organic bodies vary when they move into new relations with each other and with the inorganic environment.
- Such an analysis obscures the relation between miscarriages at different stages of gestation and maternal age.
- Secondly, there is the lack of emotion in relations between husband and wife and between parents and children.
- A causal relation between asthma and obesity is supported by data from cohort studies.
- Dimensions of quality space can vary in their dependence relations on each other.
- His words of lament emphasize the inalienable relation of father to daughter or bride to homeland.
- If, however, we adopt the second hypothesis, we have to inquire only as to the relation between cause and effect.
- Our findings suggest a causal relation between second teenage birth and adverse pregnancy outcome.
- It may also be hard to see the relation between cause and effect.
- Therefore, in our study, symbolic beliefs do not mediate the relation between prior contact and attitudes.
- What is the causal relation between the pattern of division and cell differentiation?
- The present study does not offer a causal relation between primary hyperparathyroidism and the development of renal stone disease.
- Rather, they involve a relation between a believer and a thought believed.
- How would you regard the relation between your critical and poetic activities?
- Together with the supposed necessary truth, it implies the obtaining of the causal relation between agent and action.
- Hence the assertion of a causal relation between physical and mental events is inherently paradoxical, perhaps even incoherent.
- This indicates a causal relation between the two, but that leaves three possibilities
- But when it comes to the relation between sense and reference, the analogy could mislead.
- We used a sensitivity analysis to test the effect of different assumptions on the relation between income and management costs.
- In addition, symbolic beliefs did not mediate the relation between prior contact and attitudes for either group.
2.2as preposition in relation to — con relación a
3relacionesto establish/break off/restore relations (with sb/sth) — establecer/romper/restablecer relaciones (con algn/algo)
- to have sexual relations with sb — tener relaciones sexuales con algn
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.