In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1volver a encender
- Then we went and relit the barbecue and they made me cook burgers.
- When you relight the burner at a later date, re-expansion of the fixture could cause leaking at the fittings, and replacement of the unit might then be necessary.
- Fortunately, Lawrence remembered where the light switches were so the place was relit with illumination.
- And, with ceremonial solemnity, he showed me how to relight the pilot on the furnace.
- But a second call was made by neighbours just before midnight saying that a man was putting more wood on the fire and attempting to relight it.
- Dylan relit his third cigarette that night, as Allison cracked her knuckles before strolling behind Phillips.
- I didn't know if it was in reply to his smoking or the candle being relit.
- There he relights the cigarettes and turns over to us to ask, in English, if we mind if he smokes.
- When she finally heaved herself up through the trap door onto the floor of the attic Chandra breathed a sigh of relief and relit the candle.
- After leaving the salon, he leaned against the rail and relit his cigar.
- Torches were then lighted from the bonfire and carried to each home to relight the hearth fire.
- Then he relighted the fire and made the soup, hoping every moment to see the old man come in.
- Instead of relighting it, however, Jack held it up to his face and stared at it contemplatively, as if it held some great secret.
- Becky used her magic to create a spark of light that relit the torches.
- The instructor pulled out a spark-striker that looked like any propane igniter, leapt up on the edge of the basket and relit the flame.
- It wasn't so long ago that the lanterns on buoys were powered by acetylene gas, requiring more frequent visits to replace the gas, and to relight pilot lights which could be blown out.
- The sun shined onto the earth, relighting it with gaiety and radiance.
- Thoroughly rinse any cleaner from the glass before relighting the unit.
- Hawthorne took my cigarette out of my hand, relit it, and handed it back to me.
- Once this is accomplished you can ask the utility company to inspect the gas system and relight the pilot lights for any remaining gas appliances.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.