In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1seguircontinuarquedarsepermanecer formalher condition remains critical — continúa en estado crítico
- these laws will remain in force — estas leyes continuarán / permanecerán en vigor
- the best thing is to remain silent — lo mejor es quedarse callado / es callarse
- he remained cheerful despite everything — a pesar de todo no perdía el buen humor
- if the weather remains fine — si sigue haciendo buen tiempo
- the mystery remained unsolved — el misterio no se llegó a resolver / quedó sin resolver(se)
- he remained standing — se quedó de pie
- please remain seated — por favor no se levanten
- (in letters) I remain, yours faithfully — le saluda atentamente
- All are covered with an undercoat, of which a great deal remains, of a copper-red colour.
- But the fact remains that the BBC continues to broadcast challenging environmental coverage on TV, radio and the internet.
- Nevertheless, uncertainty remains about the optimal selection of patients for home treatment.
- Secondly, a degree of uncertainty remains regarding the freedom of the parties to vary their contract where the third party's views are unknown.
- This pubic hair remains for the rest of the adult life.
- I say that, without resolving this question, a wholly undesirable state of uncertainty will remain.
- Uncertainty remains, but here are seven promising trends that could make the year memorable.
- But even so uncertainty remains as to possible changes in the state of targets between the time of missile launching and its flying.
- Therefore, great uncertainty remains as to whether the US economy has entered a period of stable growth.
- The taint of uncertainty and danger in the region, while it remains, will continue to have a negative effect on investor sentiment.
- But a great deal of pictorial evidence remains from both regions, along with much information in literary and religious texts about the place and function of music.
- Uncertainty will always remain, however, particularly when the evidence is unreliable.
- However, uncertainty remains regarding the effectiveness of interventions to reduce lead hazards and blood lead levels.
- She met and married her husband, Lou, and remained there for the rest of her life.
- Academic and even judicial uncertainty remains about the exact meaning and scope of the term.
- Yet at the end of it, serious doubts remained as to whether the story should ever have been given the prominence it had.
- I no longer wish to support my husband's application to remain in the UK and we are no longer together.
- But serious uncertainties remain about how to measure and account for estimates of net carbon.
- Though a silver bullet does not exist, hope remains for improved weed control.
1.2(stay)quedarsepermanecer formalremain here until I call you — quédese aquí hasta que lo llame
- how long do you intend to remain in the country? — ¿cuánto tiempo piensa quedarse en el país?
2.1(be left)quedarthis is all that remains of the city — esto es todo lo que queda de la ciudad
- a few crumbs were all that remained — solo quedaban unas migajas
- there are less than five minutes remaining — quedan menos de cinco minutos
- let me enjoy the few pleasures that remain (to me) — déjame que disfrute de los pocos placeres que me quedan
- the fact remains that ... — sigue siendo cierto que ...
- to remain to + inf
- what still remains to be done? — ¿qué queda por hacer?
- certain questions remain to be answered — hay ciertos puntos que hay que aclarar aún
- that remains to be seen — eso está por verse
- it only remains for us to say goodbye — ya solo nos queda despedirnos
- all that remains is for this last restriction to be lifted — lo único que falta es que se levante esta última restricción
- to remain behind — quedarse
- Twelve minutes remained to be played, and four more were added.
- If the Court pleases, there are nine matters remaining for me to deal with.
- In the end, with absolutely no time remaining, a deal was cut.
- After a year nothing much had happened and, with no funds remaining, treatment ceased.
render_form_group(subsense).blank? span.form-groups = render_form_group(subsense)they spent the remaining day in Paris — pasaron el día que les quedaba en París
- the remaining ten pounds can be paid later — las diez libras restantes / que quedan / que faltan pueden pagarse más adelante
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.