In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in UK, for accommodations, office)alquiler masculinearrendamiento masculinearriendo masculinerenta feminine Latin Americahow much is their rent? — ¿cuánto pagan de alquiler (/ de arrendamiento etc. )?
- it pays the rent — me da de comer
- rent collector — cobrador de alquileres
- rent tribunal — tribunal que entiende de causas entre propietarios e inquilinos
2US(for boat, suit)alquiler masculinearriendo masculine Andesrenta feminine Mexicofor rent — se arrienda
- cars for rent — se arriendan coches
1(pay for)(house/land/office) alquilar(office/land/house) arrendar(office/house/land) rentar Mexico(television/vehicle) alquilar(vehicle/television) arrendar Andes(television/vehicle) rentar Mexico(suit/boat) alquilar US(suit/boat) arrendar Andes US(boat/suit) rentar Mexico USarrendarle algo a algnrentarle algo a algn Mexicoto rent sth from sb — alquilarle algo a algn
2(property/rooms/accommodations) alquilado(accommodations/property/rooms) arrendado(accommodations/property/rooms) rentado Mexico
3→ rent out
1(use in exchange for payment)alquilararrendarrentar Mexico
2US(cost to rent)this house rents for $1200 a week — la renta de esta casa es de 1200 dólares a la semana
1literary(tear, rip)rasgadura feminine literaryrasgón masculine
- They trailed in limp defeat, their once proud banners torn from the bosom of the sky, and bedecked with many minute rents and holes within their pale canvass.
- He walked the edge of a yawning hole tearing a rent across the earth.
- Thus did ceremonies and their successful conduct knit up the repeated homicidal rents in the social fabric.
- The least rent or puncture might, if not immediately checked and repaired, split the whole garment asunder and expose its wearer in all his human vulnerability.
- As a council tenant she pays no rent or council tax and she gets all the extra benefits there are.
- Rather than charge monthly rent, most landlords used to require tenants to put up huge cash deposits, often hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- This will give rise to increased tenant demand and rising rents in office, retail and residential properties.
- All four facilities are paying relatively low annual rents to the council.
- You should definitely talk to your landlord about reducing your rent.
- A tenant paying rent to a non-resident landlord must deduct standard rate income tax from the rent paid to the landlord and pay the tax he has deducted to the Revenue.
- Smith said the rise in interest rates is likely to increase the popularity of residential investment properties which offer guaranteed rents to landlords.
- How can landlords be allowed to harass tenants who pay their rent, just because they have other plans for the property?
- Residents had traditionally signed long leases and paid an annual rent to the landowner.
- If David pays rent and his income and savings are sufficiently low he may get housing benefit; if he pays council tax he may get council tax benefit.
- Your brother allowed your mother to reside there and most likely did not charge her rent.
- Currently the average monthly rent for two-bedroom apartments in prime Dublin locations is €1,400 per month.
- No matter how much legal protection you have in place, though, you still must have conscientious tenants paying reasonable rents to come out ahead as a landlord.
- Can I sell the appliances to cover the unpaid rent?
- Prime retail rents have soared over the past decade, but margins have not kept pace.
- They asked for two years' rent in advance.
- In 1997, a change in the law meant it became easier for landlords to evict tenants who weren't paying their rent.
- The oversupply of rental property has resulted in landlords cutting rents to attract tenants.
- There are lots of random tourist shops - and empty ones because owners can't afford the high rents.
- Breach of the tenant's obligation to pay rent gives the landlord certain rights, including the right of forfeiture.
- From Nevada, tourist buses and cars can be hired on rent.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.