In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(conversation)conversación feminineplática femininewe listened to their witty repartee — escuchamos su ingenioso intercambio
- Vivian I'm not like you, witty repartee is not one of my gifts.
- With witty repartee like that, it's a mystery why the woman hasn't already made a successful career for herself as a celebrity chef.
- The witty repartee, the insults, and the jabs were all so natural.
- The repartee is often funny, and the supporting characters hilarious.
- With our love of repartee, we Irish would challenge the snappiest New York scriptwriter, if only we stayed sober long enough to remember our quips.
- The script is pleasantly unpredictable, with some witty yet believably sharp repartee, especially between Jo and her mother.
- Even though the thugs are armed with knives and chains, Edward is able to rebuff them with witty repartee and by revealing that his chauffeur carries a gun.
- Shining with repartee between two great wits, the play is a masterful compendium of playful banter revealing Shaw and Mrs Patrick Campbell in scenes of both confrontation and reconciliation.
- He's crying out for his own chat show, where his facility for quickfire repartee would come into its own.
- You always seem to have a quick remark or witty repartee.
- Madcap banter and witty repartee were the way everyone conversed.
- The imbalanced pacing makes it difficult to appreciate the profound monologues and witty repartee that follow the long stretches of absurdity.
- I only regret that I don't have some witty repartee to entertain myself as I write this review, but I think I'm still in shock.
- When he is not exchanging repartee directly with his beloved, Tom affects the cynicism of a full-blown Restoration rake.
- If you get bored watching Connery drive his Aston Martin to a romantic rendezvous for some witty repartee, the movie will likely bore you.
- Young, feisty Iris leaves her creaky, would-be suitor in the dust as they engage in the sort of witty, erudite repartee that exists only in films.
- Yeah, he's a pop genius, but his cool, affable swagger and clever repartee are the perfect complement to the more extroverted, outgoing personalities of Dahle and Ms. Case.
- Their effortless and witty repartee rivals any comedy duo that came before or after.
- Vithabai with her quick repartee and imaginative extempore dialogues and a vibrating singing voice brought about many changes in the Tamasha performance repertoire.
- Cagney and Sylvia Sidney also worked well together, reflecting Cagney's respect for Sidney as an actor and also his enjoyment of her adeptness at witty repartee.
2(reply)respuesta feminineréplica feminine literary formal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.