In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1masculine informefeminine noticiamasculine reportajefeminine crónicareports are coming in of a coup — están llegando noticias de un golpe de estado
- latest reports indicate that ... — las últimas informaciones indican que ...
- The report documented why babies and children are uniquely vulnerable to fetal and developmental effects from exposure to certain pesticides.
- Other companies have been known to give their shareholders small tokens of their appreciation along with their annual reports.
- According to US media reports, they are given sleeping pills on their return from flights, which the pilots call ‘no-go pills’.
- Little more than a week before the court was due to consider the matter, newspaper reports featured a rehash of allegations made against O'Leary and others during 1995.
- Media reports during the week suggested that Meteor was creating tension with Lucent by offering a tender for a second equipment provider.
- A good case can be made against foreign aid simply by perusing the official documents and reports published by government lending agencies themselves.
- Media reports have suggested Vivendi was unhappy with the general level of offers and was hoping to push the bidders higher.
- ‘When I look at the newspapers, reports from the media, it is rarely an issue in the Japanese media,’ he said.
- Silverstein would not be drawn on future applications for the search engine, but media reports have suggested that the company is working on a version of the browser for mobile phones.
- Unwanted annual reports and other shareholder documents may also bother you.
- The memo was then added to the report as the documents I would be asked to identify to the Inquiry.
- On Thursday, six men (described in media reports as dissident republican suspects) were arrested in raids in England.
- It doesn't matter if you're selling expensive photos for annual reports, cheeky babywear or a religion.
- If her partner had suffered trial by media, in their reports about his being the prime suspect, his libel action allowed the papers the latitude to outline just why.
- A European Commission transport spokesman said the Commission had no intention of limiting the height of vehicles in member states, as suggested by some newspaper reports.
- Damiano credits media reports on the many beneficial properties of tea are the primary reason for the increased demand.
- No matter how often a vision is published in annual reports and advertisements, it seldom weathers a change in the market.
- The political background of the former lecturer in Marxist sociology was also more complex than the media reports suggested.
- In 1559, a Venetian government official transcribed a report by a Persian traveller who observed the popular Chinese pastime of drinking tea.
- I make a note for my official report that the presumption of innocence has yet again been violated.
- Media reports at the time described Yeltsin as ‘a brash bear of a man from the Urals brought to Moscow to boost Gorbachev's reform efforts’.
- When reading the annual reports, spend more time in the footnotes than perusing the letters from president and portfolio manager.
- No one expects CEOs to deliver sermons rather than annual reports.
- In 1969, there was even an official report recommending that Japan embark on a weapons programme.
- The bulk of an analyst's work is contained in the body of the research report.
- Compare Bill's account of their removal from Palm Island with the voice over version from the media report of the time.
- Media reports suggest Eircom does not intend to use the proceeds of any refinancing to repay equity.
- Conflicting reports in the U.S. media while top-notch intelligence and on the spot sources tell the story otherwise, are important to keep an eye on.
- There were also ‘friendly fire’ casualties to which many media reports made ongoing reference.
- This is in addition to handling the media's economic news reports and requests for an analysis of the economic implications of recent events.
- However one defines its official status, the report is to a considerable degree at variance with the picture of the Communist Party of the United States given by historians of the American left.
- She has investigated the events, the media reports and testimony from victims of those attacks.
- Confirmation of the shortcomings of annual reports comes from Merchant, a designer of such documents.
- Unconfirmed media reports have suggested Vivas will launch later this month, once it signs up AIB as a shareholder and obtains regulatory approval.
- The pared-down macroeconomics chapters are far more in line with Bush administration thinking than press reports suggest.
- That year the first report documenting the violations of the freedom of the press is released.
- Many of Los Tigres's songs are inspired by events in newspaper reports, or stories passed on by fans.
- The six files on Kenwood also contain condition reports, annual accounts and minutes.
- In accordance with its policy, the WHO does not compile its own findings from China, instead waiting for official Chinese reports.
- In light of the new proposals, The Sunday Business Post examined the annual reports and accounts of a number of major charities and also looked at some high-profile smaller charities.
1.2(evaluation)informe masculinereporte masculine Mexicomedical report — parte médico masculine
- she got a good/bad report — tuvo buenas/malas calificaciones / notas
- annual report — memoria (anual)
- official/Government report — informe oficial/del Gobierno
- (in UK) Law Reports — relación de pleitos y causas
render_form_group(subsense).blank? span.form-groups = render_form_group(subsense)British (assessment from teacher)boletín de calificaciones masculineboletín de notas masculinelibreta de calificaciones feminine Latin Americareporte masculine Mexico
1.4US (written, school assignment)redacción femininea book report — una reseña sobre un libro
- to give an oral report on sth — exponer / reseñar algo oralmente
- It is written in the books of St Xavier in Partibus that a report of Kim's progress was forwarded at the end of each term to Colonel Creighton and to Father Victor, from whose hands duly came the money for his schooling.
- Teachers can enter progress reports for each student and print a summary progress report when desired.
- The teacher completes a report and returns it to the student's school counselor at the end of each grading period.
- Along the way, I must qualify extreme principles in various ways and then challenge my students with examinations and term paper reports about my lectures.
2.1(hearsay)rumor masculinereport has it / according to report — según se dice
- It's been two years since we first began to hear reports of a promising new wave stirring in Thailand, a country whose cinematic past is almost completely unknown in the West.
- We never get a complete picture of Sayonara, merely a series of lively second-hand reports, which is very much the point - through these she achieves a mythical status.
- According to recent reports, Attorney General Michael McDowell is examining legal options to tackle this growth industry.
- The FFI scientists also heard reports of the existence of a seldom-seen large mammal related to goats or cattle and known to the local people as khting vor, the FFI said.
- It was reported that Anne Heffernan had personally contacted the newspaper to complain about the story.
- Of course, for auctioneers, word of mouth is a great form of gaining new business but there is no harm in background checks after you have heard favourable reports.
- While in Britain, he said he had heard reports that assets ‘went missing all over the place’.
- We're hearing reports from a lot of people in Houston, San Antonio and other places that they're happy there, they might not want to go back.
- Ever hear the report of a lost tribe found in the rainforests of Brazil?
2.2(reputation)of good/evil report — de buena/mala reputación / fama
3(sound)estallido masculinedetonación feminine formal
- Their rifles made a common report, when, sinking on his wounded limb, part of the body of the savage came into view.
1(relate, announce)several people reported seeing the tiger — varias personas dijeron haber visto al tigre
- he is reported to own several wells — se dice que es dueño de varios pozos de petróleo
- many companies reported increased profits — muchas empresas anunciaron un incremento en sus beneficios
2Journalisminformar sobrereportear Andes Mexicothe news was widely reported — la noticia fue ampliamente divulgada
3(notify)(accident) informar de(accident) dar parte dedenunciardar parte dereportar Latin Americanothing to report — nada que informar
- to report sth to sb — dar parte de algo a algn
- to report sth stolen/sb missing — reportar el robo de algo/la desaparición de algn
4(denounce)denunciarreportar Latin Americareportar a algn a algn Latin Americato report sb to sb — denunciar a algn a algn
- I will report you to the authorities — lo denunciaré a las autoridades
1Journalism(reporter) informarreportear algo Andes MexicoAlice Jones reporting from Kabul — Alice Jones, desde Kabul
- she reports for the Post — es corresponsal del Post
- to report on sth — informar sobre algo
2(present report)(committee) presentar un informe
3(present oneself)presentarsereportarse Latin AmericaPrivate Wood reporting for duty, sir! — soldado Wood se presenta, mi teniente (/ sargento etc. )
- to report sick — dar parte de enfermo / de enfermedad
- report to the reception desk/your supervisor — preséntese en recepción/a su supervisor
(be accountable)to report to sb — reportar a algn
- you will report to the finance director — reportará al director financiero
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.