In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In any case, when we look at women's resistance to government pressure, I think we should avoid the temptation to turn them into pure political subversives critiquing a repressive government.
- France was ruled by an absolutist monarchy and dominated by a repressive mercantilist economic policy regime.
- They ask, rather, that we open our eyes to the realities of a racialized and repressive social order whose institutions wage war against many young people.
- Reprehensible, too, were the succession of Cold War alliances with repressive but anti-Soviet regimes.
- Tyrannical and repressive non-colonial regimes might be supported if they could be presented as allies against Communism, but it was not always possible to go on making excuses for them.
- The other side of the coin is the individual's right to personal privacy and the right, of say human rights activists, to communicate online without fear of reprisals from repressive regimes needs to be protected.
- After the coup of 1964, the country suffered from a deeply entrenched, repressive military dictatorship, afflicted by abrogations of human rights that included censorship, random arrests and torture.
- As in Wright's novel, in Chicano urban texts the nihilist renounces institutions and ideologies which are perceived to maintain a repressive social and racial order.
- In places like Burma, it takes the form of virtual forced labor under a brutally repressive military dictatorship.
- Following a visit to San Salvador in 1973 she wrote Salvador, describing the repressive political regime.
- The Tokugawa brought peace and stability to the country, but at the costs of a repressive political style.
- With those resources, there's no need to plunder the Arctic Wildlife Refuge or support repressive regimes like the Saudi monarchy.
- However, relative peace brought by colonialism, and repressive colonial policies of recruitment and taxation encouraged people to spread out in the hinterland so as not to be found by colonial authorities.
- Bacic lived through the repressive Pinochet regime in Chile, and through her work with the truth commissions that have been operating in that country she has come in contact with innumerable survivors of torture.
- But it's nonetheless true that right at the moment, dependence on oil is forcing the West to funnel money to repressive regimes in Saudi Arabia, Iran, and elsewhere.
- It should stop propping up right-wing repressive regimes, and should not crush attempts at reforms and the redistribution of wealth.
- It is also a politically safe position for the narrator who must negotiate his way through a repressive political system.
- The dream of creating a culturally renewed Ireland was replaced by a raft of repressive cultural and social legislation that followed the most reactionary example of Catholic social doctrine.
- People are fed up with regimes that are repressive and have failed to deliver prosperity.
- Nor should the irony of this be overlooked, given Hanson's stridently self-righteous defense of free speech in the face of repressive political correctness.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.