In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Zoologyde los reptiles
- Named after their spotted coats and fearsome jaws, leopard seals have large, reptilian heads and streamlined bodies.
- Mammals, as we have learned to expect, employ a bizarre and pointlessly complicated variation on the straightforward and logical reptilian plan.
- Turtles and iguanas are the most common reptilian sources of the infection.
- Therefore, it had nothing to do with demonstrating how the genetic information coding for feathers could have arisen in the imagined reptilian ancestors of birds.
- Figure 16 pictures a three-headed reptilian bird chasing a hunter who is armed with a gun.
- At our study site, the predator guild includes avian, mammalian, and reptilian species.
- Let us consider first the simpler explanation of a series of morphological evolutionary changes in the evolution of avian feathers from reptilian scales.
- At the time, paleontologists were stuck in a reptilian perspective on dinosaurs.
- Vertebrate animals (mammals, birds, theropod dinosaurs) develop larger brains then their earlier reptilian ancestors.
- Two of the bones found in the reptilian jaw are nearly identical to two of the bones in the mammalian inner ear.
- In proportion to body size, mammals have brains about ten times the size of reptilian brains.
- Although old drawings of Tyrannosaurus rex give the beast an almost erect stance and a long reptilian tail, which dragged on the ground.
- Autumn has arrived and with the cooler weather our amphibian and reptilian friends will be looking for somewhere to call home over the winter.
- You have to admit that there's something fascinating about dinosaurs, those lumbering reptilian giants of a bygone age.
- Enormous temporal fossae for very strong jaw muscles, formed by just one of the reptilian jaw muscles, which has now become the mammalian masseter.
- Like all reflexes, the startle reflects activity of the brain stem, the most primitive, reptilian part of the brain.
- This is a sequence of fossils which shows in great detail how the mammalian inner ear bones evolved from similar bones in the reptilian jaw.
- Dehydration can cause serious health problems in any reptilian species.
- Still had true socketed teeth, a reptilian trait.
- The reptilian scale has absolutely nothing to do with follicles.
2literary(like a reptile)(smile/features) de reptil
- He can feel Martin out there waiting his time with the cold reptilian patience of the perfect agent.
- Boyle is Sidney Greenstreet - ish, minus the reptilian glamour.
- Judge Dave Ryan is also a friend to children; however, he can't fly, and he lacks a hard, reptilian protective shell.
- Sincere roles are not only out of character for Jim Carey, they are entirely alien to his reptilian nature.
- Mr. Chen laughed in his quiet, reptilian way.
- The script called for her to be sympathetic, in spite of his reptilian appearance.
- In fact, a lot of those B players are still around today - the reptilian Richard Perle for example.
- Nick Stahl does a good job portraying Bobby as a vicious, detestable bully (with perhaps just a hint of reptilian charisma).
- That is, the mechanism that should concern us is our own reptilian nature.
- But here he distils horror by showing it in slow passage through the ageing, reptilian contours of Michael Caine's face.
- Her blue eyes, entirely void of make up, gave her face a strange, reptilian look.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.