In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(polite demand)petición femininepedido masculine Latin Americasolicitud feminine formalto make a request — hacer / presentar una petición
- request for sth — petición (/ pedido etc. ) de algo
- a request for assistance — un pedido de ayuda
- they came with the request that ... — vinieron a pedirnos que ...
- at her/Mary's request — a pedido suyo/de Mary
- by popular request — a petición del público
- price lists available on request — solicite nuestras listas de precios
- At the request of the Russian prosecutors, the Swiss authorities have also recently frozen $5bn in bank accounts belonging to Khodorkovsky and his associates.
- The group filed a request for safeguards in February over imports from China and Vietnam, leading the ministry to conduct a six-month probe into whether to impose the restriction.
- Were these alterations by Holbein, at More's request, or by Lockey, at the request of More's descendants?
- Guo's wife said in a deposition that ‘the underground bank was opened at the request of aunt in Fujian Province,’ they said.
- At the time of going to print, I haven't received an answer from the Chancellor to my request for Council to abide by the simple rules of natural justice and set fees in term time.
- It may have been that the request for the gun discouraged them, or it may have been for other reasons, but in their wisdom they never appeared.
- ‘Indeed, at the request of the liquidator, we are preparing an account of the situation and will have a surplus to hand over to him, we think,’ he said.
- A seller accepted their offer to buy a house, but agents representing name-brand insurance companies rejected their request for insurance.
- A few days later, Turkey officially approached its other NATO partners with a request for more help.
- The feeling of paranoia is strong throughout while the scenes relating to the request for political asylum are chilling in the current, particularly given the current political climate of intolerance.
- According to Raoof, many of the features introduced into DB2 are either at the request of application vendors or in anticipation of requirements they may have.
- A group representing the company's 300 pensioners has been refused a request for a meeting with management and told that they will not get any shares in the floated company.
- For instance, they took care to include materials recycling in the construction request for proposals.
- A ninth lane is being added to the running track at the request of international athletes, and a media zone is being created.
- The funds raised remain in the specific country and when funds are required for an operation of a patient, then the company formally sends in a request for funds.
- Yet last year, at the request of the police, the film was banned from being shown in Turkey, which gives some indication of just how politically sensitive the Kurdish question was there at that time.
- The company expects to receive a formal request for documents or a subpoena in the next few days.
- At the request of a third party, Lucire interviewed 319 patients in litigation over arm pain.
- If you haven't received something from an institution for some time, it may mean your request for change of address may not have been processed.
- Persons 16 years and older can make an advance ‘written statement containing a request for termination of life’ which the physician may carry out.
2(for record, song)petición femininepedido masculine Latin Americato play a request for sb — tocar algo a petición de algn
- before noun request program — programa con pedidos de los oyentes
- These requests prompt the repetitive playing of a singer's song, which is the goal of promotion.
- In the spirit of trying to personalize the listening experience, both XM and Sirius have made it possible for people to contact DJs and programmers with feedback and requests.
- Listeners' requests may or may not have made a difference.
- A live disc jockey, on air from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. eastern time, will take e-mail requests and conduct interviews with prominent women.
- It was initially leaked to a US radio station earlier this year, and listeners immediately flooded Djs with requests to hear it.
- Within the first three days of them trying the song, it was already Top Five for requests on the phones.
1pedirsolicitar formalMr & Mrs Tuthill request the pleasure of your company at ... — los señores Tuthill tienen el agrado de invitar a usted a ... formal
- to request sb to + inf / that — pedir(le) a algn que + subj
- I requested them to leave — les pedí que se fueran
- customers are requested not to touch the displays — se ruega a los señores clientes no tocar las mercancías expuestas
- he requested that he be allowed to see his client — solicitó que se le permitiera ver a su cliente
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.