In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1necesitar(patience/dedication) requerir(patience/dedication) exigiryou can withdraw cash (as and) when required — puede retirar dinero según lo necesite / según le sea necesario
- how many copies do you require? — ¿cuántos ejemplares necesita / precisa?
- all I require now is your signature — todo lo que hace falta ahora es que usted firme
- this work requires great concentration — este trabajo requiere / exige mucha concentración
- your presence is required at reception — se le requiere en recepción
- add salt as required — salar a gusto
- we can supply the screws if required — podemos suministrar los tornillos si usted así lo desea
- The identification and delineation of an emerging research frontier requires both adequate exposure and strong advocacy.
- Finding the right spot for your ad in this cyber-playground requires some research, though.
- This conclusion, the questioning of which is the purpose of this paper, requires some elaboration.
- However, such a relationship requires patient treatment: the young can be bored, the oldsters embarrassed.
- However, more research is required before conclusions can be drawn about possible differences in costs between England and the Continent.
- Excavation of a temporary surface may have been required for some purpose or combination of purposes.
- These structures are sanitary and odor free but require no water for operation.
- There is a field, namely, the handling of the apparatus of government, in which bureaucratic methods are required by necessity.
- Devising your plan requires detailed research, analysis, self-assessment and a realistic outlook.
- Trading online profitably still requires research to arrive at stock picks, and the internet is an excellent resource to offer this.
- It requires research, contacts, and a whole lot of cash
- Selecting the right energy stock or mutual fund requires research, but many folks choose these investments like they choose a corner gas station.
- Anticipating or even keeping up with such changes requires a significant research effort.
- Lawlor and his colleagues are regularly faced with patients who require operations to correct the operations they have already had.
- In reality, IT is an integral part of business operations that requires planning, intelligent execution and maintenance.
- It's a record that requires patient investigation so will be richly rewarding for some but hard work for others.
- Less than a year ago my research would have required a laborious and tedious consultation of the multiple microfilm editions of Knox's works owned by my library.
- Most importantly, it will require market research firms to develop a new vocabulary and new sensibility.
- The account book is a complex manuscript, requiring considerable deciphering, researching and annotating - and regrets that it had previously been inaccessible are now dispelled by this excellent publication.
- Teenagers are not overwhelmed by the recent increase in the number of soldiers who have been wounded or killed, since they believe that this war is necessary and requires their contribution.
- Performances colored in green are free of charge, and performances colored in dark green are free but require tickets.
- The show may sound like one for the tourists, but passports are not required to get a ticket at the Olympia box office.
- Does the cooperative have danger points in its operations that require special monitoring and attention?
- Boiler-room operations once required a basement full of telephones and people.
- A periodic review of the cooperative along with established policies and rules requiring operation on a cooperative basis are essential.
- Likewise, tractors certainly require fuel for their operation.
- The machine operation requires an air compressor with a minimum of 120 psi.
- That is, purposeful inquiry requires some prior interest in the topic under scrutiny.
- As I cautioned above, I only regard the above as tentative proposals, requiring much more research before they could be taken as proved.
- He argues that openness in public life is necessary because meaningful participation in the democratic process requires informed participants.
- For instance, he asserts that private industry by itself will not make the necessary investment required to improve its security.
- I have known patients require stitches and even surgery for injuries inflicted.
- Avoiding unnecessary surgery requires a proactive patient willing to challenge opinions and research options.
- At the same time, his research method requires a radically new view of identity and social forces.
- Countess Kifune requires an operation but refuses the anesthetic, fearing it will cause her to reveal a secret.
- There's an awful lot of research that's required still in order to optimise the process.
- Maintaining clarity of thought and affirmation of purpose required constant effort.
- Each year, Christie's offers its very top pieces in a night auction which, to ensure its exclusivity, requires a ticket for entrance.
- The strategy requires extensive research into a company's fundamentals.
- What happens is that the composition process is therefore a longer process that requires a greater involvement from the composer.
1.2(demand)to require sb/sth to + inf — requerir que algn/algo + subj
- applicants are required to have experience — se requiere que los candidatos tengan experiencia
- to require that
- the law requires that you wear a helmet — la ley le obliga a llevar / exige que lleve casco
- to require sth of sb
- all that is required of you is that you observe the rules — todo lo que se te exige es que cumplas con el reglamento
- I shall do all that is required of me — haré todo lo que me corresponda
- To become a club member a person is required to apply and pay for membership.
- This has featured disputes over when he was required to attend, the amount of notice he requires and his attitude towards the way the inquiry conducts its business.
- If you are accepted as a member, you are required to attend an orientation.
- From a safety perspective, the plant has monthly compliance safety training programs that all employees are required to attend.
- The Competition Authority has welcomed the government's decision to require lawyers to submit tenders for work in future tribunals of inquiry.
- Junior officers in the British army require their commanding officer's permission to marry or they are obliged to resign their commission.
- Instructors may require all students to participate in the project as all or part of the course grade.
- Find out if the company of your dreams requires dancers to attend its school for a year or two before being offered a position.
- Taiwan's president, at the insistence of China, has been barred from attending the APEC leaders' summit since 1993, requiring Taiwan's president to send a proxy to each subsequent meeting.
- White Lodge students were not required to attend the first audition, but went straight to the finals.
- The instrument requires the user to ask a basic question: What is the function/purpose of this scene for the telling of the story?
- In any case, upon confirmation, you are required to ship this order on the next business day, even if you think the buyer is foolish.
- All team members were required to attend and participate in data collection on day 21 and 49 of each study.
- More often, though, insurers impede care by requiring doctors to get authorization for all tests and procedures or by threatening to drop doctors whose costs they deem excessive.
- To bridge the gap, scholarly publishers often require authors to raise subsidies from the institutions where they work, and this opens the way for decisions based on patronage.
- McGrath carefully charts her increasing sympathy for the people she is required to spy on, and her growing belief that it is the big corporations that demand penetration.
- Her students are required to attend two group classes per semester and participate in a semester recital.
- We were looking for a restaurant that's famous for enforcing turnover by requiring patrons to order two pieces every three minutes.
- This is because, if the settlor can revoke the terms of the trust, a creditor can simply obtain a court order requiring him to do so.
- Hamutenya said Ramatex's demands for cotton will require Namibian farmers to increase the growing of cotton.
2required past participle
2.1(amount/dose) necesariowithin the required limits — dentro de los límites establecidos / fijados
- cut the required number of squares — corte el número de cuadrados que haga falta / que sea necesario
- However, most loans contain provisions requiring compliance with laws which will allow the lender to declare an event of default and demand repayment if it learns that the borrower is breaching environmental statutes.
- The Brazilian government passed its series of laws requiring processors to begin to adopt HACCP for fishery products in 1993.
- Through laws requiring development to meet housing needs or through other means, we will, when required, intervene to ensure a fair market.
- However, some compulsory purchases will be required for the interchange upgrades.
- My insurance required a second opinion, so we drove to San Francisco, where they also did the surgery.
- It's also worth getting hold of a ‘green card’, which amounts to evidence that you have the minimum insurance required by the country your visiting.
- Lucrative television rights were up for grabs and clubs had spent millions on ground improvements required by law after the Hillsborough disaster in 1989.
- When the uninsured get sick, they go to emergency rooms, where hospitals are required by federal law to treat them, regardless of their ability to pay.
- In Switzerland and the Netherlands, insurers are required by law to provide a 4% minimum annual return.
- It created medical privacy laws that require health care providers to be careful how they release protected health care information.
- New Jersey law requires that insurance companies take all comers, even those with the worst driving records.
- Ohio's Secretary of State has sent each group at least three letters demanding annual reports required by law.
- There is an obvious incentive to report such crimes, because most insurance policies require such offences to be reported before compensation is paid.
- A separate insurance plan is required to provide hospital cover.
- Make sure the individual is licensed to sell insurance, which is required in all states.
- Retail giant Wal-Mart has been dragged into the vote on whether California law should require firms with more than 20 employers to provide health insurance to its staff.
- Last year, the state legislature passed a law requiring small businesses to file their taxes electronically if they owed $2,500 or more a month.
- In 1995, the Supreme Court struck down a federal law requiring states to maintain gun-free zones around schools, ruling that the statute had nothing to do with interstate commerce.
- In the United States, 44 of the 50 states require insurance contracts to be written in plain English.
- Through a new state law requiring financial disclosure from all prisoners, Illinois hopes to collect 50% to 75% more.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.