In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(remnant)residuo masculineresto masculine
- When heated this produces methane gas and a solid residue of sodium carbonate.
- Oxidation of amino acid residues in proteins is known to alter their functional properties.
- Steam distillation or chromatography of wood and wood residues can release terpenes.
- Scattered depressions in the desert fill with water after a rainfall, retaining an alkaline residue as the water evaporates.
- It's true that incineration reduces the volume of waste, but the residue is highly toxic.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.