In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(air/expression) resignado(air/expression) de resignaciónto be resigned to sth/-ing — estar resignado a algo/+inf
- I've become resigned to that — me he resignado a eso
- He seems to be resigned to the fact that there will be no indictments.
- Without treatment, a person with avoidant personality disorder may become resigned to a life of near or total isolation.
- Now, my response is a resigned shrug of the shoulders.
- Shrugging her shoulders as she says this, she is resigned rather than rational.
- Instead of being outraged, many ranchers seemed resigned.
- Akiko glances at it and looks resigned, then hopeful.
- Three years later, they are resigned to the demands of parenthood.
- Instead he seems to be happily resigned to it.
- He does seem resigned to her presence now.
- There was an audible sign of resigned frustration from my fellow passengers.
- "I'm not concerned," he says with a resigned grin.
- Some argue at being stopped, others cajole, others are resigned.
- They claim a minority are resigned to renting permanently.
- The town of 3,000 inhabitants are resigned to the bear sanctuary on their doorstep.
- There was a new tone not previously heard in his voice, a resigned one.
- One by one, people tell their dark tales in solemn, angry and/or resigned tones.
- So they are resigned to the fact that there could be another deadly attack which they simply can't prevent.
- I was proud of myself for giving up for a while, than resigned, and then I realized that the whole thing was semantics anyway.
- But today, she was more resigned to her fate.
- His work was a flaming call to arms; hers is resigned, melancholy, even funereal.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.