In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- ‘I can do that for you,’ a deep voice resonated behind her.
- The sound of caws resonated through the forest.
- The sound is magnificent and resonates throughout the whole house, but the piano remains responsive enough to issue just a whisper of sound if required.
- It rings below but the whole house resonates with its sound.
- A vibrating sound resonates through my chest cavity, like a cat purring.
- Horns, whistles and Caribbean sounds resonated across the city as up to 100,000 people enjoyed the West Indian carnival yesterday.
- A deep sigh resonated out of me as I tried to sit up.
- A loud, metallic sound resonated in his ears as he reached out, slamming his hands against the crusted, unseen surface.
- The deep thud of boots resonated throughout the long passageway.
- The beat of the drums emulates the beating of the heart - the sound resonates within your body, as if it originated there.
- Suddenly, sounds of evil laughter resonated through the air.
- Without any musical background to interfere, his rich, deep, magnificent voice resonated like it never had before.
- Everything turned black and I was almost asleep when a distinct click sounded, resonating in the room.
- At his urging I strummed the guitar, closing my eyes as a gorgeous deep sound resonated.
- There are some great moments in a show that fizzes with cartoonish energy and resonates with the sound of a gospel choir.
- The sound of pounding hooves resonated through the woods.
- The sound of gunshots resonated in the distance.
- The bass was deep and loud, resonating in my chest.
- He whispered in a deep voice that resonated in Sarah's ears.
- The smooth sounds resonated through the empty house.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.