In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(sth useful, helpful)recurso masculinenatural/mineral resources — recursos naturales/minerales
- human resources — recursos humanos
- the hospital is starved of resources — el hospital sufre una carencia absoluta de recursos / medios
- the new center is a valuable resource for the community — el nuevo centro es un valioso servicio para la comunidad
- teaching resources — material didáctico
- left to their own resources — librados a sus propios medios / recursos
- before noun resource center — centro que suministra información, asesoramiento etc
- He has already shown us that he is a man of resource. So why don't we have a quiet dinner, then go and see an opera?
- The Indians adapted to the invasion, indicating they were not a passive and static element, and adopted a new resource use strategy that tied their fate to that of the bison.
- It's a day to remember that keeping one half of humankind under life-long subjugation through unwritten laws and warped thinking is a waste of talent and human resource.
- The book shows Washington not only as a man of resource, strength, and virtue, but also as a man with deeply held religious values.
- He did not rely on his own resource, friendship with Pharaoh or past accomplishments.
- She knew she was pushing her intellectual resource beyond its limit.
- These results imply that males adaptively change their resource allocation strategy during the course of the season.
- It is not because of any limit in Divine resource and ability, for God has none.
2formal(ingenuity)recursos masculinea woman of considerable resource — una mujer de muchos recursos
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.