In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He simply appeared one evening at the rest area on Interstate 91 in Lyndonville.
- I can't imagine driving alone on the interstate and needing to stop at a rest area and having to use a mixed-sex bathroom!
- These were posts with government offices, lounges, restaurants, snack booths and all the facilities that you would find in a rest area along today's modern highways.
- Two questions come to mind as I get out of the car at the rest area: how can anyone live with this humidity, and what is that unearthly shrill whine?
- Shortly after they set off, Rhodes pulled into a rest area to sleep.
- This is a designated rest area for Truck Drivers Only, Strictly no camping.
- In Ireland, our motorway network is expanding rapidly, yet we have yet to build one motorway filling station or rest area.
- It is well worth pausing at the rest area as you approach Lake Tekapo to enjoy the view and take photographs.
- Tess took a deep breath and turned down the radio, as she came upon an exit that promised a rest area.
- I am sitting parked in the rest area along Interstate 90 in Minnesota.
- He smiled to himself as the car pulled out of the rest area, back onto the highway.
- We drove into a rest area and he put the car in park.
- He remembered seeing him at the rest area that night.
- Margaret was silent for a time, trying to get it straight in her mind, and then she related the events that happened at the rest area before he got there.
- She jumped into her car, started the engine, revved it loudly, and then spun out of the parking space and left the rest area at a high rate of speed.
- They were in the next city 27 kilometres away, parked in a small rest area.
- As the two men slept in a rest area at the side of a motorway, a witness recognised their vehicle from police warnings on television.
- We left the rest area and went along the interstate to the next exit, where we got off and drove on home.
- He glanced at a sign and realized that he was approaching a rest area.
- We pulled into a rest area to make phone calls and stretch our legs.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.