In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He proved various results on resultants including what is essentially Cramer's rule.
- In Commons's work two opposing resultants of underlying, real economic forces do not impersonally, mechanistically interact and come into static equilibrium.
- Measurements may be made, very crudely, by measuring the dips of the resultants of the primary and secondary magnetic fields or in more sophisticated ways by measuring amplitudes and phases of various field components.
- The contrast between resultants, like the weight of a macroscopic object, and emergents, like an object's colour, seems intuitive enough; but on examination, it is very hard to make precise.
- Neither this study's gestalt approach nor the daunting task of comprehending resultant findings need dilute its intended contributions.
- Mr Bowa said both the participating outlets and consumers stood to benefit from the scheme in terms of the resultant increases in sales and affordability of the products.
- The engineers found that the original structural design helped arrest the progression of collapse and resultant loss of life.
- A natural result of this growth is a resultant increase in the desire and need for computers to communicate with each other.
- Harsh words followed, and the resultant disagreement is still not resolved.
- Imports outweighed exports, and resultant trade deficits weakened states already in a downward economic spiral.
- Taking into account the probability of active faults and resultant ground movement, Californian engineers had elaborated fault-tolerant design standards for nuclear reactors.
- Yet, formative experiences and the resultant attitudes, sensibilities, hot buttons and cultural reference points can vary for members at either end of the generational spectrum.
- Some might argue that, if households borrow from other households, the resultant growth in aggregate debt may not matter, as all the credits and debits ‘cancel out’.
- I don't think this color could be captured anyway other than by one's vision, for the light and resultant color are not mechanical.
- And if you tax consumption with indirect taxation, taxes often pyramid, with resultant price increases of a regressive nature.
- His youngish stepmother, Joyce, volunteers to baby-sit gratis in view of his straitened circumstances and her recent widowing and resultant loneliness.
- Whilst industrialisation brought a number of dramatic changes and opportunities, insecurity and the resultant downwards spiral into poverty remained a deeply entrenched continuity.
- Britain's biggest advantage over its rivals in the naval arms race was the greater size of its merchant marine and resultant pool of trained seamen.
- Our psychology must therefore take account not only of the conditions antecedent to mental states, but of their resultant consequences as well.
- After being shaken in their containers, these intriguing objects' resultant relationships are interpreted by the diviner.
- Pre-crisis, during the regional economic boom of the early to mid-nineties and the resultant growth in tourism demand, one of the most attractive property assets in Asia was a hotel.
- Interviews with forty-six selected citizens were taped and since the resultant two million words were edited down to one hundred and fifty thousand there has been a good deal of literary shaping.
- When a field is not tilled, the decomposition and resultant release of carbon dioxide is vastly slowed.
- The surface weather which is experienced is but an indicator of the considerable flux and resultant turbulence which occurs in the range of atmosphere from the surface to high above.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.