In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- That said, the compression and reticence of Italian high modernist poetry are still prominent stylistic features in Italian verse.
- Yet there was continual evidence of reticence among even supposed supporters.
- The reticence of our style, chosen, we thought, as appropriate to the forum, requires each reader to substantiate our claims on their own.
- He radiated a peculiar combination of warmth and reticence; a combination which suggested he would remain perfectly pleasant, so long as one kept a reasonable distance.
- This really very scary Japanese ghost story from director Hideo Nakata exerts a chilling grip with its icy calm and eerie reticence.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.