In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1perro cobrador masculine
- Like the good retriever he is, Baxter pulls at the woman's clothing, dragging her into Frank's view.
- It cut its teeth on water rat, badger, otter and fox in its native Yorkshire, England, then proved to be an excellent watchdog and retriever, too.
- She pushed Sampson's nose away as the retriever attempted to play with the frenzied bird in the girl's arms.
- The retriever sniffed with cautious curiosity at the doctor's legs, and Julien stood there, looking passively at the dog.
- On the main street, Ocean Avenue, a few people are out walking their retrievers.
- Many people love their retrievers and their sunny dispositions around children and adults.
- I've lived in a second story apartment for the last 10 years, and we've had several dogs: one basset hound, two Rottweilers, and a flat coated retriever.
- The retriever looked indecisive, constantly bouncing forward to the house, but always stopping short of yanking the leash out of Gale's hand and running back to her side.
- Actually, he walked out on the stage with his dog - a black lab retriever named Abbey.
- Many of the early poodles were retrievers who spent a great deal of time in the water.
- In appearance, the dogs took a number of forms; retriever sized long muzzled hounds, heavily built greyhounds, border collies, Alsatian crosses and some forms of ‘lap dog’, probably small mongrels.
- With its streamlined body and long legs, the Mudhol can beat any retriever or gundog from overseas.
- Lucy, the retriever, seems happily oblivious to everything that's happened and continues to chase after low circling birds.
- Prior to the 1800s, European hunters maintained a large collection of dogs - pointers to locate the game; setters and retrievers to retrieve it; hounds to trail quarry over long distances.
- Through my thirst for knowledge about this breed of dog, I read a lot of books about Chesapeake Bay and its retrievers, never realising that one day I would visit the place to fish for striper bass.
- If you don't have an active life, for instance, don't purchase a breed that needs a lot of exercise such as hounds, retrievers and shepherds.
- The retriever was stretched out on the back seat, and she wanted to impress upon the dog that he must remain there.
- Spaniels, terriers, retrievers - each breed has a different personality.
- Large dogs, such as retrievers, Dobermans, and Rhodesian Ridgebacks, make great running mates because they've been bred to have long, graceful strides and sturdy joints.
- The essence of versatility and intelligence, Weimaraners have been used as bird dogs and water retrievers and have also been used on wolves, wild cats, deer, mountain lion and bear.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.