In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The pod's retrorockets fired up, easing its fall but they were a little too slow in activating.
- If space is a vacuum, then how do space capsule's retrorockets steer?
- The entry, descent and landing system will utilise key technologies involving airbags and possibly retrorockets.
- At that point, the probe drops down on a tether that is as skinny as a shoelace, to keep it a safe distance away when the lander's retrorockets fire.
- Scientists studied the rover landing site images to determine the likely reflectance properties of Mars Polar Lander's parachute and the blast zone created on the Martian surface by Mars Polar Lander's retrorockets.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.