In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(make united again)(family/party) volver a unir
- This is typically what happens when friends reunite after several years.
- The party has always accommodated a broad range of political views, bound together by the central aim of reuniting the country.
- Nobody ever accused him of delaying the end of the Warring States Period in his attempts to stop the Qin Kingdom from reuniting the whole country.
- Council officials have been left with their tails between their legs after claiming they were ‘duped’ into reuniting a woman and her pet dog.
- Many fans hoped for a fairytale resolution to Kahn's crisis, reuniting a father with his children.
- North and South Korea have agreed to resume a program which reunites families separated for more than 50 years by their civil war.
- Blessings on the internet, and the way it reunites friends hourly.
- The backing of the throne had an image of him reuniting the two kingdoms of Upper and Lower Kemet.
- We came here not just to be reunited with friends but to pay our respects to soldiers like him.
- A group of friends reunites in a New Hampshire cottage to reconnect and remember.
- For many, reuniting with wives and children is the next difficult and emotional task.
- Some users even reunite with old friends while others have found the love of their life.
- Across the country, email in-trays piled up with stories of near misses and friends reunited.
- After liberation, she made her way to England, finally reuniting with her children in 1946.
- When we're together it's like long lost siblings reuniting, especially for me and Brandon.
- Tears of joy were flowing as three great army friends were reunited after more than 50 years apart.
- This charming and affecting sequel, reuniting the characters after nine years, gives us the answer.
- They had talked all night chatting like old friends reuniting after 10 years apart.
- His new film, House of Flying Daggers, is another martial arts period piece, and reunites the director with his ‘Hero’ star, Ziyi Zhang.
- He'll overcome his personal traumas by simply reuniting with his wife.
2(be, come together again)she was reunited with him after many years — se reencontró con él después de muchos años
- Phil and Sally are reunited — Phil y Sally están de nuevo juntos
- a meeting was arranged to reunite father and son — se organizó una reunión para que padre e hijo se reencontraran
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.