In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I had a similar problem with my cat when I was revarnishing my stair treads.
- If the etcher wishes to add to his work the plate is revarnished and more work added.
- It's also blissfully easy to clean and to maintain - there's no reglazing, regrouting, revarnishing, patching up, or scrubbing down.
- According to Mr. Sasi, paintings covered in grimy varnish can sometimes be revived through cleaning and revarnishing alone.
- On the other hand, objects that were originally covered with a clear varnish to enhance and give a gloss to beautiful wood can be cleaned and revarnished without diminishing the maker's final aesthetic statement.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.