In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1Politicsrevolución femininecome the revolution — cuando venga la revolución
- I was trying to start a workers' revolution in Glasgow.
- How can a party whose principles rest on an international workers' revolution advance socialist policies in a bourgeois political system?
- They, too, saw a need to keep the Kadets on the side of the Revolution.
- Violent revolution to overthrow the capitalist system in favour of complete social justice will follow.
- Louis was now a prisoner of the Revolution and an enemy of the Revolution.
- In 1979 the US-backed dictator in Nicaragua, Antonio Somoza, was overthrown by a popular revolution.
- The 1979 revolution overthrew a vicious dictatorial regime supported by the West.
- By the end of the war, Woodrow Wilson hoped for a liberal revolution in Germany, whereas the Bolsheviks anticipated a socialist revolution.
- Want to do your bit for the Revolution and stand up for the kids?
- Here's a new addition to the List of People Who Will Be Up Against the Wall When the Revolution Comes.
- Immediately after a revolution or a dramatic change of government there are some exuberant examples of patriotic art.
- Simultaneous revolutions and uprisings erupted in several countries across Europe.
- The workers' revolution would thus usher in a lasting age of genuine Utopia.
- As you've pointed out in many of your articles, the revolution against the capitalist plutocracy is largely a war of words and ideas at this point.
- My father was adamant that change could not come about without a violent revolution and a proletarian dictatorship.
- Ikea will be first up against the wall when the Revolution comes, hopefully.
- They regard the 1917 Russian revolution as merely a capitalist revolution overthrowing feudalism.
- Some of these revolutions were socialist, others capitalist; all were strongly nationalist.
- In Cuba, Elián was hailed as the child-hero of the Revolution.
- For an organisation that claims to lead the world revolution, they have nothing.
- 23 years later, in 1917, the Russian Revolution inspired other revolutions and uprisings throughout Europe.
- Neither of those things would have been any different, had they had a revolution in favour of democratic government instead of communist.
- The vortex of wars and revolutions swept away all paper evidence of his education.
- In 1924, when the Turkish revolution overthrew the Ottomans, the caliphate was abolished.
- The clearest example was in Russia in the successful workers' revolution in 1917.
- But the Revolution has not yet fulfilled its tasks.
- They also claim to be bringing about a new world order… a revolution of sorts.
- In 1848 the British establishment watched in horror as revolution swept across Europe.
- This was necessitated by the severe economic problems the country faced in the aftermath of the civil war and the defeat of socialist revolutions in Europe.
- The Iranian Islamic revolution also must be understood in all its complexity.
- No one is urged to dwell on the fact that the day's fireworks displays are symbolic of an armed revolution against tyranny and colonialism.
- So without further ado, grab your hard hat and let the revolution begin!
- Young believers in the Fascist revolution began to turn towards Communism as an alternative.
- All that is required to subvert the revolution is to put a for sale sign up in front of its symbols, at which point it is assimilated.
- There was enormous economic and social unrest, a weak parliamentary system and the fear of a socialist revolution.
1.2(radical change)revolución feminine
- After utterly destroying the once thriving Indian textile industry, Britain sparked its own industrial revolution.
- The sexual revolution has swept up young adults in a perilous tailspin.
- A revolution in military affairs suggests a fundamental change in all aspects of warfare.
- The tools of the much-hyped communications and information technology revolution bring people closer together and drive them further apart.
- Infinite Data Storage is now close to starting another technological revolution in digital recording technology.
- But as in TV, the digital revolution is coming in radio.
- In the women's game, an even greater revolution of sorts was sprung.
- This is also a cultural question, and Nigeria needs as much a revolution in attitudes and thinking as it does in new legislation or new measures.
- Rapid technological advances have also fueled the revolution in business affairs.
- While there may be a few scattered news operations that the revolution has not yet touched, the profession has undergone a technological transformation.
- The technological computer telecommunications revolution is equally responsible.
- Identifying the structure of DNA triggered a revolution in biology that is still continuing today.
- The molecular genetics revolution of the 1960s swept up many of the brightest young minds.
- Most of Ireland missed out on the first industrial revolution of the late eighteenth century.
- The arts and crafts movement began in Britain in reaction to the industrial revolution of the nineteenth century.
- Who are the innovators leading the next tech revolution?
- Record companies have finally begun to embrace the digital revolution started by the first incarnation of Napster.
- The materials revolution led to a dramatic and sudden decrease in the cost of building bridges up to 1000m in span a decade ago, and as a consequence we have seen these new kinds of bridges cropping up everywhere.
- The civil rights revolution of the 1960s presents the relevant object lesson.
- The book helped to spark a cultural revolution.
2Mechanics Astronomyrevolución feminine45/33 revolutions per minute — 45/33 revoluciones por minuto
- before noun revolution counter — tacómetro
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.