In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
transitive verbrewritten, rewrote
1(alter)volver a escribirvolver a redactarto rewrite history — enfocar la historia desde una nueva perspectiva
- In 1911 he rewrote the story as a full length novel called Peter & Wendy.
- It was like someone had rubbed out what they had written and rewrote it, but bigger.
- We had a final draft and David rewrote things based on who was cast and where we were.
- He rewrote school history curriculums to place greater emphasis on the military's historical role.
- LS helped in writing and rewriting the paper and contributed additional ideas to the manuscript.
- I first wrote it as a one-act play in Kannada and have kept on writing and rewriting it over the years.
- It took me ages to write this chapter I rewrote it 4 times because I just wasn't happy with it, it felt forced.
- I wrote in a separate journal and rewrote it into my diary when I got back.
- He begins rewriting his speech as news of the second impact, and thus suspected terrorist collusion, reaches him.
- He tried writing an opera called Leonore, but failed so he rewrote it as Fidelio.
- I was disappointed that the media covering the symposium only rewrote the press release.
- They wrote vision statements and then rewrote them, soliciting input from people inside and outside the business.
- Songs like ‘Growing With Love’ were written by Ty, but arranged in such a way that we all rewrote sections of them together in the studio.
- He sits huddled in a corner, writing his name, erasing it and rewriting it.
- I had lunch, wrote the bare bones of the piece, e-mailed it to the office, drove to HQ, and rewrote the piece.
- I wrote, edited, deleted and rewrote this post ten times already today.
- During 1920 he rewrote it and published it privately in 1922.
- Before we did anything we wrote and rewrote the script until we felt what we had got written down was a really good story.
- A reader rewrote the ending to our version of ‘Those Were the Days’.
- I just wrote a nice long e-mail to someone about a potential business deal, and I wrote it and rewrote it at three times.
2(copy out)volver a escribirescribir otra vez
1nueva versión feminineto be in rewrite(s) — estar en proceso de revisión
- before noun rewrite man — corrector de estilo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.